Post screen showing incorrect RAM size

Picklefactory 08:12 18 Apr 08

Just finishing off upgrading pc. All seems OK so far. New E6550 Dual core, 2 x 1Gb DDR 800 dual channel, 2 x SATA HDD, Vista. All installed and seems to be running OK, but when I boot, the post screen shows only 256Mb RAM but correct amount is showing in BIOS and not noticed any functional issues yet.
How do I check if everything is as it should be? I've never done dual channel before, does it sort itself out, or is there something I should set?

bremner 08:50 18 Apr 08

Are you sure that the POST screen is not reporting the Video RAM rather than the system memory.

Picklefactory 09:07 18 Apr 08

Aaah, there's a thought, shiny new graphics card is 256Mb. Never thought of that, as my old XP system showed system memory on POST, not graphics.
I do have rather a knack for missing the bleedin' obvious, at times.
I'd still like to check if all is OK though, anyone know any nice (And preferably free)configuration check software that could evaluate my pc and give me details of what the rig is actually performing at, so I can see if I have everything correct. Does SiS Sandra do this?
Thanks

DieSse 11:20 18 Apr 08

You can look in - Settings - Control Panel - System and it'll tell you how much RAM Windows thinks you have.

If you want a detailed look at pretty much everything installed in your system, PC Wizard2008 is very good,

click here

DieSse 11:22 18 Apr 08

"I've never done dual channel before, does it sort itself out, or is there something I should set?"

If you've put matching RAM modules into the correct slots, it's automatic - no setup to do.

Picklefactory 12:56 18 Apr 08

Cheers, yeah, I pretty confident I got 'em right. I have bank of green slots and bank of orange, I put matching RAM in 1st slot in each bank.
I'll check the other items when I get home, but sounds OK.
Thanks both.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac