Post Office Brbnd Email Prob (Thunderbird)

Legslip 12:12 13 Feb 10

Trying to set a pals account up in Thunderbird and he can receive but not send. When sending he gets a message "this message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server smtp.mypostoffice.co.uk failed. The server may be unable or is refusing SMTP connections. Please verify that your SMTP server setting is correct and try again or contact your network administrator".
Tried calling Post Office support but they are busy as always and offered a call back within 24 hours (appaling).
The O/G settings in Thunderbird are ....
Server Name: smtp.mypostoffice.co.uk
Port:25
Username and password is ticked with correct username.

Any ideas what is up?

Pineman100 12:17 13 Feb 10

Probably a silly question, but I suppose you are certain that he's got the correct name for the smtp server?

Sea Urchin 12:18 13 Feb 10

Settings for mypostoffice in Mozilla Thunderbird - check all settings carefully

click here

Legslip 15:42 13 Feb 10

Sea Urchin. Thats where I got the details from. If the b....y Post Office support would answer I'm sure I'd sort it in two minutes but....

Legslip 16:07 13 Feb 10

PS. Subsequently tried to setup in Outlook and have the same problem!!!

Sea Urchin 16:43 13 Feb 10

It's your outgoing server address that is not being accepted - presumably you are using mypostoffice as your ISP as well as the email address?

Legslip 16:47 13 Feb 10

sEA uRCHIN. iN ANSWER - YES.

Sea Urchin 17:30 13 Feb 10

Two possibilities as far as I can see - either one of your settings is wrong, or the mypostoffice outgoing server is down. Particularly as you get the same result with Outlook.

Can you use the webmail service to operate the account?

Legslip 18:26 13 Feb 10

Yes, can use Webmail.

clock 10:40 14 Feb 10

Morning Legslip,
Noticed nothing had been added to yesterday's messages, so thought I would just add my thoughts. I have been with Post Office for 18 months and recently the service has deteriorated dramatically and I have made various complaints. At the moment the Web page is slow or non existent, my latest bill is listed but I cannot "see" it, (shows "null" document), and I haven't had any e-mails for 3 or 4 days. Could problems at Post Office be the cause of your problem as well? I know this doesn't help you but might be why you are having difficulties,

Good luck, Clock

Legslip 12:12 14 Feb 10

Hello Clock. Like you I am not impressed with PO Brdbnd. When I tried calling Tech Support yesterday, after pressing 1 for this 3 for that and 2 for Tech Support my calls kept disappearing into the ether. When I did get through all they said was that they didn't support Thunderbird. When I asked what e-mail clients they did support, they said Outlook Express. I had to explain the O Express went out with the ark and is no longer relevant to the latest versions of Windows.
I still think my problem is their end but will do some further investigative work first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…