POST not working after possible lightening strike

Dan 21:23 29 May 03

On turning on the pc the monitor goes into standby and neither keyboard or mouse come on, nor do I get the usual after POST beep so I'm pretty sure at least the m/b is damaged.

As I can't access the keyboard and so get into bios can anyone suggest any other avenues of approach, other than perhaps replacing the motherboard?

(System is a 2200XP with 1gb ram, 4200Geforce4 ti card, 80gb hard drive and running winxp.) System power supply was surge protected but I'd forgotten about the phone line!

-pops- 21:30 29 May 03

I've a feeling this is one for the undertaker but before you do that, remove the modem and see what happens when you try to boot up.

Gongoozler 21:33 29 May 03

Hi Dan. I'm sorry to read that your system seems to have suffered so badly. My suggestion is that you remove all the pci cards and disconnect the ide and floppy drive cables from the motherboard. Then see if you can get a POST beep. If you can't then it is very likely that the motherboard has been damaged. If you do get a POST beep, then you can start fitting the parts until you find which one is preventing the computer booting.

Dan 21:42 29 May 03

Thanks for the quick come back folks.

(I'm currently writing on an old P166 got working just so I could come ask questions :) )

I'd tried disconnecting the modem but not removing the card.

I think the idea of a stage by stage hardware boot up makes a lot of sense. Will try that at the weekend. Thanks again for the ideas folks.

Dan 13:46 01 Jun 03

Turned out that -pops- was right and upon removing the modem card the system booted ok and examining the card revealed assorted damage to it from capacitor to chip. Replacing it has got it all running smoothly again.

Cheers m'dears

-pops- 14:14 01 Jun 03

Another satisfied customer.

zaxpop 21:09 03 Jun 03

Easiest thing to try first is a new memory module. borrow one. usually get 3 beeps but not always get any beep code

-pops- 21:25 03 Jun 03

I think you should read the whole thread;-))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…