P.O.S.T. Hiccups!

busybaz 18:31 17 Apr 04

System Details

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe MOBO
512Mb Crucial PC3200 DDR
AMD Athlon 2500+ [Barton core, multiplier locked :-( ]
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440 with AGP8X [64Mb RAM]
Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG, version ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe ACPI BIOS Rev 1010 [date 03/16/2004]
Windows 2000 to Service Pack 4

Problem
Intermittantly at switch on, P.O.S.T. freezes at the following stage;
Main processor: AMD Athlon (tm) XP 2500+

It should continue to Memory testing & roll through the 512Mb memory check and arrive at Memory frequency is at 166MHz single channel mode and then go on to detecting IDE drives etc.

Current Remedy
Disconnecting the power cable for a few seconds, reconnecting & switching PC on again results in straightforward boot up.

Question
Any ideas as to whether this is
a) A motherboard problem (Google search indicates lots of probs with this MOBO, including recommended memory)?
b) A BIOS problem?
c) A Windows problem (remember the old speed problems with the old AMD K7 chips)?

hugh-265156 18:47 17 Apr 04

what power supply do you have?

Gongoozler 18:55 17 Apr 04

One thing you can be sure of, this isn't a Windows problem. At the time of the POST, Windows hasn't even started to load.

busybaz 17:49 23 Apr 04

Must have been a problem @ PC Advisor site? (have only just received email notification of post responses on 17/4).

huggyg71 - from memory, I think the power supply is a standard 300W.

Gongoozler 18:09 23 Apr 04

300W is low for an Athlon 2500+. It may not help at all, but I think a 400W supply would be advisable. Have a look at the power supply wattage calculator here click here

busybaz 20:14 23 Apr 04

Gongoozler - thanks for the wattage calculator link. My system config gives a minimum requirement of 284 watts so should be OK?

Have been trying adjusting every setting within BIOS to see if any joy. Disabling the onboard 1394 (nothing connected anyway)and increasing memory voltage from 2.6 to 2.7 seem to be having some effect - watch this space!!!!

Giskard 20:31 23 Apr 04

I have problems with this same motherboard, sometimes at startup P.O.S.T announces that the processor fails due to overclocking but still continues after to load operating system and everything works fine . the funny thing is i have not done anything to the system and never have tried to overclock it.

busybaz 13:08 03 Jun 04

Changing the Quick Power On Self Test setting in BIOS to "disabled" seems to have cured the problem [although I now have to press ESC during start up to abort the full roll through of the memory check]

Time for another communication (in the hope of eliciting a response!) to ASUS and/or Phoenix-Award I think!

Gongoozler 09:34 04 Jun 04

I think their are two linked factors here. You improved the start-up by increasing the memory voltage, and you have to abort the boot-up memory testing. I think there is a compatibility problem with the memory you are using. Crucial are reputed to be very good with customer support, so it may be worth giving them a call on 0800 013 0330.

busybaz 07:10 13 Jun 04

Thanks for the interest Gongoozler, but no compatability problems with memory (though I can confirm Crucial's reputation - at least they responded to my emails!!!).

It was the BIOS - reverted to version 1008 and everything now works fine.

Let that be a lesson not to upgrade BIOS as soon as mobo is installed?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…