Post beep confusion.

Stowit 11:01 26 Jan 05

My memory isn't what it should be! Repeated attempts to increase it fail. The latest when booting I get 1 long post beep (repeated). I've looked at various documents, that go on about error codes, but cant find what it means. Does anyone know or can link me to a site that's inteligable? BIOS is Phonex ver 6.00pg. I similarly just put in a AGP graphics card & got the same (without doing RAM at the same time). Any advice welcome. Incidentaly it runs XP with 512mb ram in either slot, I've another 512mb to install - it wont boot with that in either slot on its own, or either combination with the existing memory. Yet a friends Pc same mobo works fine with it!

ACOLYTE 11:05 26 Jan 05
  SANTOS7 11:10 26 Jan 05

1 long bios beep (repeated ) relates to your graphics card,try removing and reseating,or another card it may well be the card you have installed is U/S

Stowit 11:20 26 Jan 05

Thanks ACOLYTE, this is better than the other stuff I've seen but doesnt list a long beep repeated. Some one told me Phonex & award were the same, they list a continious beep as unseated memory. The new Ram is stiff in the slot & could be so. Still at a loss about it all though.

ACOLYTE 11:38 26 Jan 05

Was it repeated fast or slow beeps and how long between beeps is it 1 long beep repated at a set interval or 1 long beep then quick beeps.How many times does it beep.
click here
3 long beeps may be keyboard error.Repeated long beeps is usually memory error.
click here

Stowit 11:59 26 Jan 05

Repeated long, long pauses. I was hoping it would specific about the nature of the mememory error (unseated looks favorite) But why the same for graphics?

Storik 13:25 26 Jan 05

that your memory sticks are either incompatible or the newest one is faulted. Would try another.

Regarding the graphics card, presumably you had a PCI card prior to your AGP card? On the end of some AGP slots is a locking device, rather similar to the memory locking tabs. Has your AGP slot got one? If so, sometimes the locking tab needs to be manually pushed upwards to lock the Graphics card in place. Also some motherboards will only run graphics cards of certain voltage.

It could, of course, be none of the above - but maybe these will give you some new ideas?

Storik

Stowit 14:05 26 Jan 05

Storic, any suggestions are always welcome........However...... My memory is now sorted !!!!! (Its only taken 6 months) The chips were a tight fit in the slots. (existing one the slackest) Both, my new chip the worst, were binding on the location lug & bowing the mobo - memory unseated. Adding the new unseated the first, or wouldn't seat itself. Graphics card similarly altering 'Mobo warp' Relieving the chips with a knife & supporting the rear of the board allowed full insertion. Now my graphics card wont work (It's enabled in the BIOS & catch properly secured) but sreen resolutly blank. )-:

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…