Possibly the worst ever string of luck

Alan-Petrie 23:04 28 Nov 07

Hi

Ok where to begin a while back one of my friends had a pc with windows xp pro he wanted to keep all his files and upgrade to vista. So he started to install vista while in xp and then when vista installed he couldn't get drivers that worked for his wireless network card spent ages getting drivers but they just uninstalled them selves mean while xp and vista were still on seperate hard drives on a single pc. He then decided he didn't want the hastle and would forget about vista so having by this time wipe the hard drive with xp on it had to try and reinstall xp and forget about vista. So after many trys of wiping hard drives and installing xp. Vista still apears on the boot menu at start up but wont let u load it files corupt and wat not. So now for some strange reason bios find hdd a (280GB) but no hdd b(120GB). When installing windows or in xp its the other way round. So basicly I am lost and have no idea how to get bios to reset the hdd list and format both hard disks if only one appears. Thanks Alan

lotvic 23:17 28 Nov 07

maybe take one out and format them separately would work?

Also have you tried the hard drive manufacturers site for their own utility (free download onto a floppy) for checking and formatting hard drives?

Alan-Petrie 23:18 28 Nov 07

Ok where to begin a while back one of my friends had a pc with windows xp pro he wanted to keep all his files and upgrade to vista.

So he started to install vista while in xp and then when vista installed he couldn't get drivers that worked for his wireless network card, spent ages getting drivers but they just uninstalled when the pc rebooted.

Mean while xp and vista were still on seperate hard drives on a single pc. He then decided he didn't want the hastle and would forget about vista so having by this time wipe the hard drive with xp on it had to try and reinstall xp and forget about vista.

So after many trys of wiping hard drives and installing xp. Vista still apears on the boot menu at start up but wont let you load it files corupt and what not.

So now for some strange reason bios find hdd a (280GB) but no hdd b(120GB). When installing windows or in xp its the other way round.

So basicly I am lost and have no idea how to get bios to reset the hdd list and format both hard disks if only one appears.

Thanks Alan

woodchip 23:21 28 Nov 07

If it's Sata Hard Drives, Sata Drivers have to be loaded before the drive can be seen

Alan-Petrie 23:24 28 Nov 07

I thought that was only the case if it asked about royal.sys witch it doesn't windows installs it just doesnt find the other hdd.

woodchip 23:26 28 Nov 07

So it's just the Vista Drive that is not seen or you have problems with!!!!!!!??

Alan-Petrie 23:37 28 Nov 07

its strange

right say I am in bios both hdd come up in the boot list but only on another page (280GB can remember what that page is called).

when i start the pc only the (280GB) appears in white text on black background

when I instal windows only the (120GB) appaers same with when i boot to xp and I cant boot to vista so dont know how that would work.

Thanks for your help Alan

woodchip 23:41 28 Nov 07

You could use KillDisk to clear the drive
click here

Alan-Petrie 23:53 28 Nov 07

thanks for all your sugestions so far i will continue with this tomoro. Thanks again Alan

Alan-Petrie 16:21 29 Nov 07

tonight I am going to use a program I downloaded from the maxtor website to check the hdd and then killdisk to wipe both disks if possible and then reinstal windows with a sata drive floppy as well.

Thanks for your help so far and i will get back to you if it doesnt work.

Totally-braindead 20:10 29 Nov 07

Marg7 is correct about newer boards and SATA drives many don't need SATA drivers loaded its built in in the same way that IDE support is built in.
My board does need SATA drivers but its about 18 months old.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…