Possibly easy solution to Belkin wireless problem?

Elemc 23:39 29 Dec 05

Hi all

I'm new here and not that competent as you'll see later.

I have just bought a Belkin Wirelsss G Range extender as I want to have wirless connectivity throughout the house. The problem is that my router is not a wireless G but an older Belkin ADSL Modem with built in Wireless Router (model F5D7630-4A).

My question is - do I have to go and buy the Wireless G router or is there some way I can fool the current set-up into thinking that's what it is for these purposes? I suspect the answer is no but thought I'd check first.

Thanks for any help and Happy New Year to one and all.

mgmcc 00:00 30 Dec 05

<<< an older Belkin ADSL Modem with built in Wireless Router (model F5D7630-4A) >>>

That is an 802.11g Wireless Router!

There are the two standards for wireless networking - the older 802.11b, which supports data transfer at 11Mbps, and 802.11g, which supports data transfer at 54Mbps. You router uses the newer 802.1g standard.

Elemc 12:25 30 Dec 05

That's a relief!

So now my problem is 'simply' this:

On the instructions for set up of my new extender it tells me to go into the Belkin set up utility and add WLANMAC addresses on 'Wireless Bridge' - I don't have this option on my set up utility.

Again thanks for any further help.

mamadillo 13:27 30 Dec 05

on mine the MAC addresses are under the firewall section, I'm thinking this is what I'll need to do with my lappy-bridge! thanks!

Elemc 17:25 30 Dec 05

Hi

Have tried that twice now - each time resulted in total system failure and my having to reset the router to get any access to the Internet. Anyone have further ideas?

Elemc 23:35 30 Dec 05

Following further struggles, including an age to get through to the Belkin suport people, they tell me that these two pieces of equipment are incompatible. All I have to do is buy another extender. Should have saved my time and done that in the first place.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…