A possible Western Union Scam

jack 15:13 04 Aug 10

Yet another of my flock has phoned me in a state of distress because gentleman friend has sent her an urgent E-mail - hot mail from Malaysia saying he has been robbed of all - and needs lots of money to get home - the British Embassy wont help de da de da
please send via Western Union.
She said as far as she know he was in the US for 4th of July celebs.
Sound like a scam to me - but how did the scammers get the guys detail.?
I am going over this evening to look at the mail on her machine to check the source[Asked her to do it but OE does not work like Thunderbird that I use]
So could it be a scam?

Salut 15:24 04 Aug 10

Short answer - probably!

I recently received a letter of great passion, imploring me to help a Malaysian who had genuinely (!) earned a high income through investments, however, the claim was that he fell foul of regulations and was about to loose all...

If only I would give him my bank account details he would share the gains on a 25/75% split.

Even my wife doesn't offer those odds on a return for accessing my bank account, so, I refused.

Woolwell 15:42 04 Aug 10

Short answer - scam - yes.

The gentleman friend or the member of your flock (less likely) may have.had a virus or been careless with their details and the phisher/fraudster has got hold of the details.

Woolwell 15:43 04 Aug 10

Do not reply.

Chris the Ancient 15:45 04 Aug 10

Things that come asking for payment through Western Union are inevitably a scam because once the payment has been made, it becomes instant cash at the other end with no recourse to protection. Especially when the origination is via a hotmail account.

And I don't really believe that the British Consulate wouldn't find a more secure method of helping out!

And if we could only stop scammers finding ways of harvesting email addresses, we could make a fortune!

lotvic 15:47 04 Aug 10

Friend Stranded in Foreign Country Scam Emails
Email supposedly from a person known to you claims that he or she is stranded without money or papers in a foreign land because of a robbery and asks that you send funds urgently via a wire transfer to help the person return home (Full commentary below) click here hoax-slayer.com

jack 19:49 04 Aug 10

Tried the checking the source on her machine and the IPN address was a 'Best Guess' so yes a scam
But although she too thinks it is one and indeed has told the internet police
I think she has this prick of concience lingering - just suppose....etc.

Driving home it occured to be that perhaps a reply- BUT NO DOSH-To simply ask a secret question
When is my Birthday or the senders birthday or some othe personal detail
A Spammer couldnot know that and would not respond - a genuine sender would know.
Feasible or not?

Woolwell 20:14 04 Aug 10

Do not do it! It would confirm the e-mail address as correct and live and could open up even more spam/phishing e-mails.

It's a con.

Sea Urchin 21:20 04 Aug 10

This particular scam has been around a long time (as confirmed by lotvic's link) - don't touch it and don't reply in any form. There's only one thing to do with these messages - delete them.

tullie 21:57 04 Aug 10

Delete and forget,this scam has been around for years.

jack 07:11 05 Aug 10

OK my thought squasahed
I hope she does not follow up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…