Possible virus warning!

octal 07:41 15 Apr 05

Good morning,

I'm on NTL and I've just received the following email:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello,

Your photograph was forwarded to us as part of an article we are publishing for our May edition of Business Monthly. Can you check over the format and get back to us with your approval or any changes you would like. If the photograph is not to your liking then please attach a preferred one.

Kind regards,

John Andrews
Dept Marketing
Flexiprint.co.uk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The email contains a zip attachment, which I've checked and it contains a SCR which is a script. My virus scanner calls it suspicious, so I'm no able to tell which virus it is. The return email doesn't exist, neither does www. flexiprint .co.uk

If you tempted in opening it, don't, just delete it.

octal 07:45 15 Apr 05

I've looked at the message source and traced it back to tesco.net, is it worth forwarding this on to them I wonder?

Zaphod Beeblebrox 08:03 15 Apr 05

if you dont know who it is from the best policy is to delete it without opening

octal 08:20 15 Apr 05

That's what I've said " If you tempted in opening it, don't, just delete it.", I'm just warning people. I don't mind digging a bit because I'm running Linux so its less likely to do damage, it only takes a minute to reinstall if anything goes wrong. I think if you can give people information on what it is, they are less likely to open it. People do have a habit of opening these, how else are they spread? Especially if the virus scanner doesn't pick it up straight away.

g0slp 09:09 15 Apr 05

It might well be worth forwarding it to Tesco, octal. They'll soon let you know if they're not interested; however I suspect that they will be, as a responsible ISP.

Regards,
Mark

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:58 15 Apr 05

It is a joke and if you click the attachment you will see the face of a monkey. There is never any point in forwarding dodgy attachments to ISP's.

G

p;3 10:27 15 Apr 05

?have you now scanned and double-scanned your pc for infections and worms?

I for one would not have risked what you have done::(((

Yoda Knight 11:10 15 Apr 05

I dont know what Gandalf has done, but you can view what a script does without running it (if you know how).

I've seen Gandalfs name around here for long enough to think he knows what he's doing though :)

octal 18:32 15 Apr 05

I've just had an email from Firetrust confirming this is an email carrying a virus.

p;3 19:03 15 Apr 05

so have all pc"s that have opened this e mail been thoroughly scanned ;??(Gandalf, included?)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…