Possible virus or something

silverdragon41 12:50 15 Dec 09

Last night i accidently clicked on a side panel advert on facebook. I now have a virus or something on my computer.

A window poped up saying it was a Security Centre Alert. It said it was a Trojan. Then another came up saying all my Windows security centre including the firewall, malware remover etc, was now turned off. then a download window poped up saying i need to download some protection and another with a product to buy.

I thought this was odd, so i went to the security centre myself and it was all ON.

I closed it all and the security alerts keep coming back, but always differant. First Backdoor.Win32.Agent.ich, then Net-Worm.Win32.DipNet.d, then Net-Worm.Win32.Mytob.t. Everytime i click off the security centre alert, another appears within 10 seconds. The 3 tabs at the bottom of the alert (Keep Blocking, Unblock, Enable Protection) only Enable Protection is allowed to click on.

I ran AVG program, it found nothing, I also ran Spybot and Advanced System Care. Also found nothing.

What can I do??

fsbb 13:12 15 Dec 09

I had, this morning, a problem that mirrors yours. I carried out a system restore to a date I know system was ok.

Restore did the trick. All OK now.

Try a restore.

silverdragon41 13:17 15 Dec 09

hmm. I know how to restore, but not sure when...or if i have ever set a system backup point. how do i find when the last system backup point was?

User-1229748 13:33 15 Dec 09

if you go to system restore it should give you the dates that you can restore to.restore points should be made automatically before such things as windows updates.

DieSse 13:35 15 Dec 09

It sounds like a fake warning, to try and inveigle you into buying or downloading something.

If your scans say nothing is wrong, then almost certainly nothing is wrong. You just had a rogue pop-up window.

fsbb 13:36 15 Dec 09

You don't say which version of windows you have. Windows automatically adds restore points periodically and also when you install new programmes. If you have XP or Vista then:

Start > All Programmes > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.

Select a restore point from those listed that was created prior to yesterday, 14 Dec.

DieSse 13:37 15 Dec 09

PS - Clean out your temporary files with the standard Windows Disk Cleaner, or even better Wise Disk Cleaner (free download).

silverdragon41 14:05 15 Dec 09

I have Vista. did the system restore. looks good now. no pop ups :D

thanks guys. i love this site hehe

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant