Possible virus infection

My son was playing a game online yesterday evening when the game suddenly terminated and he was returned to the desktop,

A message appeared saying that a problem had occurred and listed the possible causes, one of which could be a virus. I ran Norton Antivirus and no viruses were detected.

The PC started up fine this morning and after a little surfing, I decided to take a backup using Drive Image 5.

During the reboot (DI5 needs to run in DOS), a message appeared saying that I had a boot virus and the machine halted. I rebooted the machine and all was fine. I downloaded the latest antivirus definitions from Symantec and did another scan but again, no virus was detected. I tried running DI5 again and no further problem was encountered.

Perhaps I’m been a bit paranoid but I would be interested to know how the problem could just disappear and whether I have taken the right steps to ensure that I am not infected.

Lozzy 12:08 15 Mar 03

When it said you had a boot virus did it have or display a name? try click here

Thanks, Lozzy but I didn't read the message in full (very silly of me, I know).

Will see how things pan out and post back should I encounter the problem again.

Lozzy 12:20 15 Mar 03

also try click here and where it refers to Floppy that means the drive.. What version of windows do you have?

Thanks for links, Lozzy. Will look out for the symptons.

OS is Windows XP

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…