Possible Noisy Hard Disk

shazza65 18:27 18 Aug 03

I have recently up-graded my power supply within my computer believing this was what is causing the loud noise from my computer.

Whilst the noise has reduced, I am still getting an annoying amount of noise from it. I appreciate a computer cannot run in complete silence, however I am still frustrated with the noise level it is making.

The next step I suppose would be to get a quieter CPU fan or try and quieten the hard disc. I understand to do this the hard disc must be put in some case but my father tells me this could make it hot.

Does anyone have any experience with trying to sound-proof their hard drive?

Rayuk 18:34 18 Aug 03

Has your pc always been noisy or is it a new sound you are hearing.
If it is your hard drive would suggest you download diagnostics program from their website and check it is ok,as soon as possible

shazza65 19:09 18 Aug 03

Rayuk

The machine had always been noisy but is a tad quieter with the new fan.

I have a IBM hard disk which I am lead to believe is a good make - don't know about that because this is my first PC.

From the information you have given, does that mean if I connect to the IBM website (address of which is unknown to me), I can run some sort of test to make sure it is OK?

Rayuk 19:23 18 Aug 03

If it has always been noisy and the actual sound hasnt changed shouldnt be a problem.
Hard drives run hot to begin with so not a good idea to enclose it any more.
More likely to be the fans causing the noise.How many fans do you have??
power supply/cpu/case fans
You can buy quieter case fans/cpu heat sinks that use 80mm fans which run at a lower rpm so less noise.

Rayuk 19:26 18 Aug 03

Or you can buy sound proofing material for the inside of your case,but judging by reviews I have seen they dont seem to be that effective.
click here

woodchip 19:33 18 Aug 03

Put a blanket round the system box but leave the front and back uncovered. As air should go into the front and out the back for cooling

shazza65 20:18 18 Aug 03

Both thank-you for your help. Will consider putting something around the case.

The only fans I have running as far as I know are the power supply and cpu, I haven't had the fan case connected up yet.

I suppose the perfect situation would be it to move the computer into another room altogether, however, I have heard much quieter computers than mine in the past!

Ta

woodchip 20:21 18 Aug 03

I have only the two fans running but been working without the side cover on for must be six months. And the system box is slung from under the desk my own patent

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…