Possible Nasty ?

amonra 17:55 16 Feb 09

I have just had a friend on the phone asking for advice. When he boots up his computer it comes up with a screen message headed (something like)
MicroSoft XP
MS needs to check file system C, 1 disc for consistency..... some more about check disc.

What is this ? He cant get do anything except look at this message. He cant clear it or access anything else. Switch off and restart to no effect, still there.
He is a bit too far away to visit tonight, but maybe tomorrow when I'm more prepared.
Any suggestions gratefully received.

bremner 17:58 16 Feb 09

Has your friend let it run the Chkdisk click here to its conclusion?

Bapou 18:06 16 Feb 09

I had a similar problem some time ago. Turned out to be a 'Dirty Disk', not a 'Nasty'.

click here

The link will explain far better than I can on how to proceed and rectify if it is a Dirty Disk.

amonra 18:22 16 Feb 09

Thank you both for your input, After a further conversation with my friend after he had calmed down a bit, it does sound like Checkdisc is running. I've told him to report back to me after the program has finished its run.
Thanks again, hopefully it will settle back down to normal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…