Possible to move My Documents

Anti_Virus 19:38 26 May 06

Hi, I have bought an external hard drive, and I want to completely move My Documents to the new drive, is that possible? If so, how do I do it? I'm running XP Home SP2 in case it helps.

johnnyrocker 19:40 26 May 06

edit/select all or an indivual file box opens on the left hand side with options to copy or move selected folder, then select the location and job done.

johnny

jimv7 19:59 26 May 06

Right click on your docs folder/properties/move and browse to the new location, click ok.

VoG II 20:07 26 May 06

Make sure there are no docs open when you do this.

Anti_Virus 20:23 26 May 06

Cheers for your replies, I had thought of just moving it, but i wasn't sure if it would muck up the system, moving My Documents, it doesn't, does it?

VoG II 20:31 26 May 06

No it doesn't muck anything up - I've done it - but be aware of my warning above.

Anti_Virus 20:55 26 May 06

Cheers VOG, and while we're on the subject, is it possible to move the whole "Documents and Settings" Folder, without mucking anything up?

VoG II 21:02 26 May 06

That's a bit more involved click here

Anti_Virus 18:53 31 May 06

Hi VOG, cheers for that, but I've run into a problem. There are two hidden folders in the C:/Documents and Settings called "LocalService" and "NetworkService". These two folders were hidden, and only revealed when I had completed Step 3 of section 'MOVING THE ENTIRE FOLDER' in the help site you pointed me to. Well, when I try to copy them it keeps on saying

"Cannot copy ntuser: It is being used by another person or program.

Close any programs that might be using the file and try again."

Well, I dont know what ntuser does, so I don't wan't to fiddle around with any programs and services, so this is where I need you help, and anyone else's come to that. Bear in mind I have tried copying them logged into different accounts. I have also tried copying them when in Safe Mode and logged in as the Administrator, yet they still won't go. Please help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac