possible memory problem?

Mutant_Llama 21:52 29 Jun 03

I recently bought some new memory for my XP1900 PC. I bought 2 512MB DDR sticks and fitted them. The PC booted fine and all seems ok.

I tried to play Planetside and after about 1.30 hours playing the PC shutdown and rebooted itself.

Should I be concerned that the new memory is causing this problem or something else? I have a GF4 card that I recently overclocked a little so have bought the settings right back down again.

Any ideas? My main concern is that it is the new memory I fitted that is causing the problem but there was no errors upon rebooting and the PC shows as 1GB RAM.....

MichelleC 10:09 30 Jun 03

If you're xp then it could be a heat prob. If you're 98+ then you may need to change settings in MaxFileCache setting in the [vcache] section of SYSTEM.INI.

Dr. Charles 11:41 30 Jun 03

Run Cacheman, that might help to keep your memory up.

You don`t say if its XP or 98SE, but as you know games are VERY memory hungry. If its XP I think you can run a full 1 gig of memory. Really you are overusing your computers resources.

Also you say 512 Mb memory is this your TOTAL memory? There is so much you have NOT told us

Regards,

Charles

Dr. Charles 11:43 30 Jun 03

It looks as if you are running 1 Gig of RAM so thats too much for 98SE.

Mutant_Llama 12:32 30 Jun 03

Sorry the full spec is:

XP1900
WinXP Home edition
1024MB DDR 266htz memory
60GB HDD
GF4 128MB DDR ti4200 graphics card

You are correct about the game requiring so much memory, it plays 10 times better with an increase from 512MB to 1024MB but the rebooting after 1.5hours is a tad annoying.

Dr. Charles 15:21 30 Jun 03

Well why not run cacheman and every half hour or so, or between games, recover memory using that.

Nice computer spec,you could add memory up to 4 Gigs memory, if you pocket-money will stand it - - -------lol

Best

Charles

Mutant_Llama 16:18 30 Jun 03

I have not heard of CACHEMAN but will have a look for it when I am at home (damn work!). Cheers!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…