Possible Linux installation?

Simsy 22:25 08 Jan 06

Hi folks,

A friend has just had a failure of their “Word Processor”. By “Word Processor” I am talking about a device, not an application… He wants to get this replaced…

By coincidence I have just about enough leftover bits to build a PC, (I’ve bought a case to do it, so total cost is just over £20). Now all he wants is a word processor… and I do really mean that. He can access the internet elsewhere if/when he needs to… which is very rarely.

So I’ve 2 issues;

1) How easy is it, really, to install, and use Linux, bearing in mind that he REALLY does only want a WP? I have Mandriva on a cover DVD from about 6 months ago. Is there any reason why installing this shouldn’t be a practical option. I assume OpenOffice comes with it? How easy is it to install a printer to Linux, subsequently. (It may not be necessary, as, if he can save his files to floppy or CD, he can then take them elsewhere to be printed). How easy is it to burn to CD, or save to floppy using this, or other Linux.?

2) What sort of spec is needed? The PC I’m about to build will be a 1.1 gig Athlon, with lots of RAM. I’ll probably give this to my sister, installing her, (legit), Windows 98. This will leave her current PC without an OS, so I’m thinking of putting the Linux on this one for the WP replacement. It’s a P11 400 with 128Mg RAM. Would this run Linux OK?

Thanks in anticipation,

Regards,

Simsy

Diodorus Siculus 22:37 08 Jan 06

Mandriva will struggle on a PII 400 with 128 Mb RAM; I'd go for Suse 9.1 or 9.2 if available. (I've got them on CD if you want).

It's fairly straightforward to install both Mandriva and Suse. When you connect a USB printer they will both install it pretty simply.

When installing either, do a custom install and install just the bare minimum; you can then install a word processor afterwards.

Diodorus Siculus 22:38 08 Jan 06

As for burning to CD, that is a simple processor with Suse (and I presume Mandriva).

Simsy 22:41 08 Jan 06

I assume you're saying that Suse 9.1 or 9.2 will run ok on the P11 400? I can probably up the RAM to 256 at no cost.

I have Suse9.2 as a "Live" coverdisc. Will it do an "install" if I want?

Thanks,

Regards,

Simsy

Diodorus Siculus 22:44 08 Jan 06

A Live CD won't do an install :-(

The 400Mhz will be at the low end, but will do the job. The extra RAM will be a help. As I say, do a minimum install.

Simsy 22:49 08 Jan 06

I'l hold of "ticking" just in case anyone else want to throw their twopen'th in.

It will be a couple of weeks or so anyway.

Any other observations/comments on the easy of doing it/using it welcomed, particularly any things I may not have thought of!

Regards,

Simsy

Diodorus Siculus 22:51 08 Jan 06

Seems it's a while away, mail me if you want a Suse CD in the post - I can easily run off a copy.

Likely someone else will know a better linux install for your purposes. I've tried a few but stick with Suse for day to day computing.

Simsy 23:06 08 Jan 06

I will contact you nearer the time, if this is indeed the route I go.

Many thanks,

regards,

simsy

DieSse 23:50 08 Jan 06

Xandros free version is as easy as falling off a log. Should work OK with 256Kb. Comes with Open Office and more WPs - and Firefox and Thunderbird.

Very easy to install and use.

DieSse 23:51 08 Jan 06

PS - It recognised and used my HP 940 all on it's own - no input from me at all.

Chegs ®™ 07:52 09 Jan 06

PC LinuxOS,runs from CD,can be installed simply by clicking a shortcut,recognises most hardware(even Sagem USB modem)click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac