Possible hardware incompatibility

Suzuko 16:25 16 Jan 06

Someone in another forum suggested that my mobo and graphics card may be incompatible and that I might find some answers here, so here I am.

I can't post the whole story here with the 4500-character limit but it is on that other forum in the following thread:

click here

Any help will be most gratefully received.

Suzuko 16:32 16 Jan 06

Please note that my hardware configuration can be viewed by placing the mouse pointer over the "Computer Details" button at the top of the post on the other forum.

wee eddie 16:40 16 Jan 06

I notice that you didn't in the other thread either.

There are such things as the suitability of the MOBO and much much more.

wee eddie 16:41 16 Jan 06

Didn't find that link to the spec

wee eddie 16:47 16 Jan 06

Are you using the Maxtor with Firewire or USB?

Is the Maxtor connected permanently?

I assume that you are working with the internal Seagate drive and then storing work on the Maxtor later?

Suzuko 16:58 16 Jan 06

The Maxtor is external and used for backups only. It's connected via USB, but I never connected it until long after the problems began in the previous installation of Windows.

Forum Editor 17:00 16 Jan 06

we have a time-zone differential Suzuko, so have patience if it takes us a while to work through this - many of our forum members are at work right now, and won't be here for a few more hours.

From your other thread it seems to me that this is probably one of two things - either a Windows XP configuration problem, or that hardware incompatibility you mentioned. I didn't notice that anyone mentioned some of the common problems, so forgive me if I'm telling you things you already know.

1. Is the drive to which you are capturing the file formatted as NTFS? If it's not you'll run into difficulties, as FAT 32 can't handle a file over 4Gb

2. I notice from your profile on the other forum that you have two hard drives - are you using one of them as a dedicated location for your capture? If you try to capture video to the same drive that's running software programs it can often lead to processing overloads.

3. Have you tried capturing in WMM with the preview monitor turned off?

Let's eliminate all those first, and if they all check out we can go into more detail.

wee eddie 17:00 16 Jan 06

Sorry - not much help there then.

Suzuko 17:08 16 Jan 06

1. Yes, the drive to which I am capturing is formatted as NTFS.

2. I am using a dedicated 80GB partition on the primary HD to store the captures. Nothing else is on that partition.

3. Have you tried capturing in WMM with the preview monitor turned off?

No, because I don't know how to turn it off.

Suzuko 17:13 16 Jan 06

wee eddie, thanks for trying.

I find it intriguing that you say "up the spout" - on this side of the pond we say "down the drain". Did you know that?

I never heard your expression, is it a common one or did you make it up?

Forum Editor 17:22 16 Jan 06

to describe something that's no longer of any use. It's also used to describe a woman who is pregnant, but we're not going to discuss that any further.

The word 'spout' is from an old Norse word for 'spit' by the way.

Back to your problem. I have a feeling that it's not going to work, but just try turning off the WMM preview. Go into the capture wizard and remove the tick from the box marked 'show preview during capture'.

It might also help if you tried saving the capture to your external drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant