Possible extension hijack

VCR97 20:18 03 Jul 04

Spybot 1.3 has been reporting possible extension hijacks on my Win 98 system. The report is listed as a Registry change and expands to

Default Command File

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\cmdfile\shell\open\command\!="%1"%x (The x is actually a superscript but I don't know how to do them.)

If I click for info I am told that none is available. I tell Spybot to zap the entry which it does. However, a few seconds later I get an Important Registry Change warning. All this tells me is

Extension Handler
Value Added

I don't know if this change is due to the hijack attempt or to Spybot's corrective action. I assume the former--but I bet that I'm wrong--so I disallow the change. I would appreciate advice on this point, and what is an extension and why would anyone wish to hijack it? It isn't a file extension, is it?

VoG II 21:12 03 Jul 04

Looking at that registry key, I would say Yes this is an attempt to hijack a file extension - i.e to change the program that is used to open a file of a certain type.

VCR97 18:37 04 Jul 04

Thanks VoG. I'm glad that my suspicious mind is on the right track!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…