Possible Display Problem

pasty 20:28 14 May 05

I have recently purchased an advent mc3020 media centre PC, which didn't come with a monitor, so i hooked it up to my old philips 107E, which worked perfectly on my old PC. However, on my new one, every so often the pc cuts out and a black screen appears with either purple vertical lines, or a box saying "98K/187hz frequency out of range" can anybody offer any ideas as to what the heck is going on?
Thanks
Graham

DieSse 20:46 14 May 05

Yes - the refresh rate is probably set too high for your monitor.

Right click on desktop - choose properties - find the monitor settings - go to List All modes - and choose a resolution/refresh rate combination that is OK for your monitor (look in the monitor manual for one that is within spec).

polish 20:51 14 May 05

i agree but it would be worth ticking the box which says hide refresh rates monitor cant support or something like that

pasty 14:15 15 May 05

i have tried both of those possible solutions, as well as changing the setting in the "override refresh rates" option on the nvidia control panel. Now i still get the same message, although it now says "135k/0hz" instead of "98k/187hz"

DieSse 16:46 15 May 05

What have you set the refresh rate and resolution to?

Also, try taking out and re-inserting the monitor cable a few times.

woodchip 16:55 15 May 05

Refresh should be about 65Hz on that old monitor

pasty 17:20 15 May 05

the resolution is at 1152x864, and the refresh rate is set at 70hz

woodchip 18:29 15 May 05

I think that's too high for old monitor, and will shorten it's life

DieSse 19:11 15 May 05

Here are the specs for your monitor - and the refresh rate/resolution is fine for it.

So the problem is either inside the monitor, or on the graphics cars, or it's the cable.

Try dropping the resolution to 1024x768 and see if that improves things - try wiggling the cable - and try takng out and reseating the graphics card.

That's all I can suggest right now. The parameters it's coming up with when it fails are not the parameters your card is set to - so either they're being relayed incorrectly to the monitor, or your graphics card is faulty, I think.

DieSse 19:12 15 May 05

Here are the specs for your monitor - and the refresh rate/resolution is fine for it. click here

So the problem is either inside the monitor, or on the graphics cars, or it's the cable.

Try dropping the resolution to 1024x768 and see if that improves things - try wiggling the cable - and try takng out and reseating the graphics card.

That's all I can suggest right now. The parameters it's coming up with when it fails are not the parameters your card is set to - so either they're being relayed incorrectly to the monitor, or your graphics card is faulty, I think.

woodchip 21:11 15 May 05

That monitor looks like a diffent model it 107t5

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…