Possible Dialler Hijack

John-207204 09:11 23 Aug 04

Hi,

I am worried that my computer may have been hijacked with a dialler scam.

The package from my ISP has an 18.00 hour curfew but on the 18th August I went over this curfew and it was not until later in the evening that I realised this. No big deal, I would just pay the extra, but a few days later I thought I would check to see how much over the curfew I was.

On checking the “Check my usage” on my ISP website I found that according to them I came off the internet at 14.37 hours and did not go back on until the next day. I therefore checked my “Temporary Internet Files” which recorded that I came off at 14.37 but went back on at 16.20 until 18.17 hours the same day.

The only strange thing I notice is that at 16.20 there are two Cookies from MSN.com and come to think of it, MSN.com did pop up that day. MSN.com comes with Windows XP, I never use this site and did not select it, therefore at the time I thought I had just selected it by accident and just closed it down.

I have taken screenshots of the “Temporary Internet File” activity from logging off at 14.37 to the next log off at 18.17. I have also checked my settings which are set to only dial my ISP number. My next Telephone Bill is not due until October and I hope I will not get a nasty surprise.

Has my computer dialled a different number and if so, what should I do about it?

I would appreciate any help or comments.

Kind Regards

John

xania 09:57 23 Aug 04

You can always take an advance look at your telephone bill. click here.

If there's something there, you can then start to take action - if not (hopefully) at least you mind will be put at rest. While there, you can ask BT to block all premium line dial-out from your line. This facility is not publicised, but is freely available on demand.

rawprawn 10:22 23 Aug 04

A way to stop it in case you do have a dialler go to Tools/ internet options/connections and tick "Never dial a connection" Unfortunately this will also stop any auto updates, but at least you will be safe until you can verify your position.

rawprawn 10:26 23 Aug 04

Also, I have a feeling that BT will only block UK premium rate numbers, and not International. It's worth checking anyway.

rawprawn 10:49 23 Aug 04

click here This will search for and kill Diallers.

John-207204 15:53 23 Aug 04

Many thank Xania and Rawprawn for your advice.

I have enrolled on the BT site, but have to wait 5 days before I can view my bill. However I was allowed to see my charges to date, which appear to be only about 25% higher than normal so hopefully I may be OK.

Regarding my settings, I am set to "Allways dial my default connector" in order to get auto updates, but will bear your suggestion in mind, especially if I get a shock in 5 days time.

Thanks Again

John

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…