possible daft question or is it

suburban train 13:24 07 Feb 06

Hi All

Couple of pointers:

If I purchase wireless internet e.g from BT can I make a wireless home network.

Also

If I buy wireless networking package from BT and use devices such as the USB port needed can I also use a Belkin USB deivce to connect to a wireless which is BT product supplied

keewaa 14:43 07 Feb 06

The wireless broadband from some companies is a marketing tool, where you pay more and they supply the kit. Unfortunately some BT routers ONLY work with BT, so if you buy them you're stuck on BT.

You can buy an ordinary broadband package from any company and buy you own Wireless router & cards seperately.

Tiscali for example do a good value 2Mbps broadband & unlimited Uk telephone calls for £19.99 (+£11 BT rental). Then buy adsl wireless router (Belkin F5d7632UK or Netgear GD834G for £60 + cards for PC/laptops)

ade.h 18:22 07 Feb 06

Just remember the golden rules:

Mode/router for ADSL broadband.

Cable modem connected to a standalone router for cable broadband (NTL, etc.)

Many first-timers buy the wrong type.

The other golden rule is security. I'm working on a point-by-point guide to router security at the moment because it's the number one FAQ; if you'd like me to post it here for you, let me know.

lozparry 18:42 07 Feb 06

there is a good deal here
click here]
I recommend this router as I have had one for 18 months and no issues, plus the tiscali offer mentioned above I have that deal too!

suburban train 21:25 07 Feb 06

Yes please post thanks for your all your help.

All in all i can buy 3com wireless router and then use belkin usb cards? As long as the standards are the same.

With the wireless router can i still make a wireless home network and access the web

ade.h 21:37 07 Feb 06

Yes to both your questions, and when I've worked out that guide, I'll post it here for you. I've got to get the descriptions right so that it helps people with different brands of router.

ade.h 22:25 07 Feb 06

I'm doing guides for each brand of router one at a time. I've done Belkin first, because that's what I use, but the others will follow soon and eventually they will be posted on a forthcoming website.

In the meantime, read this and look for these settings in the config page of whichever model you buy.

For Belkin routers:

1) Enter your router’s config page by typing the IP address into your browser. This is 192.168.2.1

2) In the Wireless section, go to Settings and SSID. Change the SSID to something reasonably unique, like “My Wifi Network”. This achieves two things; it stops anyone from identifying your brand of router and it makes your network more obvious to you among those of your neighbours.
You can turn off SSID broadcast if you wish, but this sometimes causes pick-up problems with some devices.

3) This is the biggy; click on Security. From the drop-down, select WPA with Pre-shared Key (WPA-PSK). Now you need to pick a key, and it had better be good; a long mix of upper and lower-case letters, numbers and symbols, such as ydfPH9456#45=?ekny5834cbr. Make up your own and write it down for use later. When you are ready to connect a wireless PC for the first time, you will be asked for this key. It will be stored from then on, but keep a note of it anyway.

4) This is a bit more complex; click on MAC address filtering. Now, on each PC that uses your network, go to Start, Run and type in “command” without the quotes. In the box that has appeared, type “ipconfig /all” - without quotes, but with the space. Look for the MAC address and make a note of it. Once you have the MAC address of every PC, go back to your router’s config page and select “allow” from the drop-down. Now enter those MAC addresses by clicking on New MAC Address. If you later want to allow more devices onto your network, follow this procedure again.

5) Under the Firewall section, select Policy. It should already be set to typical. If so, leave it that way; if not, select it.

6) Go to Utilities and select Remote Management. If ANY of these boxes are ticked, untick them. By default, they will not be ticked.

7) In Utilities, select System Settings. This is where you set a password for the router’s config page. I cannot emphasise just how essential this is!! Enter a password that will be impossible to guess and tricky to crack with a password generator; it does not need to be as sophisticated as your WPA key, as you’ll need to type this password occasionally. Again, make a note of it.

Congratulations; you’re now as secure as it gets!!

flyboy 13:15 08 Feb 06

Bump for reference

greenstripy 15:16 08 Feb 06

Thank you for that security help. It's very simple & uinderstandable.

I've printed it out for future use. Whether I can find the right bits in the BT Voyager 2110 remains to be seen :)

ade.h 15:31 08 Feb 06

When I get around to it - it'll take a bit of research - I'm going to compile similar guides for other brands. I'll cover Netgear, Linksys, D-Link, 3Com and probably BT Voyager. Eventually, they'll be viewable on a forthcoming info website aimed at PCA members.

ade.h 15:32 08 Feb 06

In the meantime, most of the settings terminology will be similar to what I have posted above, so you should find most of it fairly easily with a bit of browsing through all the options.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…