Possible cures for laggy connection

Ian in Northampton 12:45 30 Jul 12

We're getting 6-8Mbits download speed which is more than acceptable, and a ping of <80ms which is pretty good - yet my son is finding gameplay (e.g.Battlefield 3) very 'laggy'. I really can't work out what to do (or, in fact, whether it's a problem caused by my ISP's traffic management/|QoS policies). He has a wired connection to a router that supports four other PCs in the house - none of which is streaming/downloading etc. Anyone have any thoughts?

wiz-king 12:54 30 Jul 12

Ping is a bit high, I would hope for <20ms. Whats the computer spec and the amount of RAM?

Ian in Northampton 12:57 30 Jul 12

Thanks Wiz-King. It's a new build AMD triple-core, 8GB memory, 2 x 32GB SSD plus 2 x 250GB disks in a RAID configuration, GTS250, Windows 7 64-bit.

KRONOS the First 13:07 30 Jul 12

This is due to high latency.

Here are some workarounds that will help:

1# Do not use the Quick Match feature, it matches you with servers across the world.

2# Try servers with less players, only high end servers with ultra high speed internet are able to keep up with 64 player maps but people seem to ignore this and run them with their mid range computers normal high speed internet.

3# Filter the servers to your own region, the closer the server is to your location the less lag and latency you will have.

4# Don't use Internet Explorer to run Battlefield. Internet uses allot of resources, use Firefox, or opera.

5# Don't run other programs while playing: ares, limewire, java update or other automatic updating programs, including Windows Automatic updates since it constantly checks for updates regardless of your computer usage.

After Googling:Click here.

From EA:

If you are playing on PC, please enable the following online ports on your connection:

TCP

80, 443, 9988, 20000-20100, 22990, 17502, 42127

UDP

3659, 14000-14016, 22990-23006, 25200-25300

Install and run this Fraps and see what frame-rates you are getting.

Ian in Northampton 13:22 30 Jul 12

Fantastic - thanks Chronus. We'll get to work on those.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…