Possible corrosion - heatsink to processor

Procrastinus 21:09 04 Jun 08

I have a processor overheating problem. So,to ensure good heat sink contact with the processor, I removed both and cleaned off old paste residue. However I could not avoid damaging a brown square of unknown material that was stuck on to the aluminium heatsink. I assume this may be there to prevent metal to metal corrosion between the aluminium and the copper of the AMD processor. If so, any ideas of where to get more or would a renewed thermal paste do just as well? Back to basic chemistry/physics!

Totally-braindead 21:11 04 Jun 08

I've never seen what you describe. Hopefully some of the others can advise. Sounds a bit strange though.

woodchip 21:12 04 Jun 08

NO it is a old heat transfer pad instead of paste

Procrastinus 21:18 04 Jun 08

Thanks woodchip. In fact there was also a smear of old thermal paste on top of the 'brown material' and it is a fairly old combo. Therefore a new smear of thermal paste should be sufficient on its own?

woodchip 21:23 04 Jun 08

yes

Procrastinus 21:27 04 Jun 08

Once again thanks, woodchip. Every day one learns something new.

woodchip 21:34 04 Jun 08

Do remove the old pad before putting more paste on

Procrastinus 05:49 05 Jun 08

For anyone else interested,I have found a good guide at click here and click on link Thermal Interface Material Comparison: Thermal Pads vs. Thermal Grease

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…