Possible cause of freeze of computer

POP 20:36 03 Nov 04

I have reinstalled XP Home 21 times since Dec 01. I have always used " the switch off " option for the screen after 20 minutes. Most of the reinstalls have been for freezes that could only be got around by rebooting. This time after the last reinstall and with the power option turned on it happened again. Since turning the power option off I have not had any freezes. It may just be a coinsident but worth a try. POP

woodchip 20:43 03 Nov 04

Go to Control Panel Power ICON make sure that your Hard Drive does not power down. put it to "never turn off"

matt1234 20:44 03 Nov 04

that may have something to do with ur powersurply and motherboard/drivers because ive never came across that problem

POP 21:39 03 Nov 04

to woodchip and matt1234, I do not have a problem anymore because I do not turn off the monitor. I have not turned off the hard drives so that should not be the problem, the power supply has been changed for a 400W some time ago but made no difference. I hope that it might help someone else to get too the bottom of a very baffeling fault. There was nothing on Drwatson errors or comp. management errors.

Sapins 23:09 03 Nov 04

That's very interesting, I've just checked and my hard drive was set to turn off after 10 minutes, I've changed it to never. If this cures the "freezing" problem I am having with my optical mouse I will be in your debt.

Regards,

Sapins.

GaT7 00:05 04 Nov 04

Sapins, always had my hard disk set to 'Never' but it makes no difference : (

woodchip, click here to see Sapins' (& my) problem. G

Sapins 00:16 04 Nov 04

Ah well, on we go!

Sapins 09:11 04 Nov 04

Have a look at click here it will at least tell you what is not causing the problem!

Sapins 09:13 04 Nov 04

Early morning fog, well it is for me, Crossbow7 has already given you the link:-(

Esso43 09:20 04 Nov 04

I have a similar problem with an optical mouse USB connection which stops my laptops from restarting if they auto switch off for lack of use.

I think it maybe a driver issue in that I have not installed the latest driver for the mouse.

Graham ® 10:15 04 Nov 04

If the laptop is in standby, the USB will not be able to power the mouse. The space bar should wake the laptop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…