Is this possible? 3G and WiFi networking

beec crump 21:12 08 Nov 06

Hi,
I need to get internet in my college halls as for whatever reason there is no internet provided. My laptop has a ExpressCard slot rather than a PCMCIA slot so I can't use any 3G cards provided by the mobile networks.

What I want to do is to use my old desktop computer as a kind of server: I want to buy a PCMCIA->PCI adapter so that my desktop can accept a 3G internet card. The desktop already has a Netgear wireless card. I want the desktop to act as a wireless access point so that I can use my laptop to access the internet wirelessly through the 3G network.

Is this possible and how would I do it?

Cheers, Ben

mgmcc 21:40 08 Nov 06

Connect the Desktop PC to the internet via the 3G network, set up an "Ad Hoc" wireless network between the Desktop and the Laptop and enable Internet Connection Sharing on the 3G connection.

spiker 23:56 09 Nov 06

All of the current 3G datacards also have wireless networking built-in too. Make sure the wireless part of that card is switched off (it can't be used at the same time as the 3G signal anyway).

For the wireless-only card, make sure it is secure so that no-one else can run up your telephone bill / use up all of your allowance.

You only get about 30MB (average) per day on some plans.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…