Poss Virus?

steven_frost 12:00 03 Apr 04

i have had an email from another company saying i sent them an email now i use outlook to send any emails and their is nothing saying i sent this here are the details any advice :-
Received: by mail44-haw (MessageSwitch) id 1080932271174671_17215; Fri, 2 Apr 2004 18:57:51 +0000 (UCT)
Received: from pfizer.com (modem-57.putangitangi.dialup.pol.co.uk [81.78.192.57])
by mail44-haw.bigfish.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 980242DA09C
for [email protected]>; Fri, 2 Apr 2004 18:57:13 +0000 (UCT)
To: [email protected]
Subject: private?
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 19:57:17 +0100
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/mixed;
boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0013_00000696.0000737B"
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
Message-Id: [email protected]>
oh i have norton AV and use spybot and ad-ware to

Indigo 1 12:13 03 Apr 04

If you don't know the sender and you have not contacted them it is possibly one of two things,

1) Spam -- just delete it and forget it

2) a Virus or Worm -- do not open it or even view it in preview pane, just delete it and make sure you have a fully updated Anti-Virus program to deal with it.

They get your email address from various places and use it to trick you into thinking that it is a genuine reply to one of your emails, you then open it and you are infected.

The infection then scans your email address book and sends a copy to each one of your contacts saying virtually exactly what you found only this time when it is recieved by you friends it will appear to be from you.

You may also need to turn off System Restore if you are infected to make sure it is not hiding in there, make sure you turn it back on again when the scan is finished.

steven_frost 15:41 03 Apr 04

My Email account is with BT yahoo which scans for all incoming emails then norton scans as they arrive on my desktop so all virus/worms are found. the problem i have is that in my sent folder their is nothing saying that i have sent it and the company it has come from would not send out spam

Indigo 1 19:39 03 Apr 04

Check for sent emails in Outlook too.

If your A-V is not absolutely up to date a virus can easily be missed, it only needs to be a few days out of date for this to happen.

I suggest you update your A-V and scan again.

BTW posting details of email addresses can be problematic for those people concerned.

steven_frost 20:34 03 Apr 04

ok since i have Broadband my virus updates itself evertime it checks for new updates ever few hours so i know that it is alway uptodate and at least once a week which happens to be a wednesday i do a maually update to make sure that it is and if you read my posting i have checked in outlooks sent folder

sattman 21:35 03 Apr 04

It sounds like your email address has been hijacked by the w32.Netsky virus.
You will not have sent the email. The virus hijacked your email address from somewhere,friend or contact you have given your address to from their address book and is mass mailing emails with your and all other address in the list.
You have no control to prevent this. And to protect yourself from inadvertant attack the only thing that you can do is to change your address and remove/cancel the old one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…