positioning a pop up page in dreamweaver?

Icemanrik 12:05 27 Jul 04

Hello Forum!
I am currently trying to get a page to pop up in dreamweaver, its a fundlemental part of my site and have sorted the pop up and the window size, nut i would like to control where on the screen it loads up. I would like it to pop up in the center of the viewers screen?
Anyone got any ideas?

Also if someone has something that blocks pop ups will it still work if not is there anyway around this apart from using a hyperlink for the viewer to click?

Thanks for your help!

Rik

Forum Editor 23:17 27 Jul 04

before adding a pop-up to your site. People generally find them extremely irritating, and your site traffic will undoubtedly suffer if you have one.

Within a few weeks Microsoft will release the WindowsXP Service Pack2, with it's built-in pop-up stopper for Internet Explorer. Millions of people are going to install SP2 very soon after its release, and none of them will subsequently see pop-ups at all. If I were you I would forget the idea, and if it's a fundamental part of your site I suggest you rethink the concept pretty quickly.

Icemanrik 10:01 28 Jul 04

The pop up was going to be a flash page, where you can browse through a selection of interactive content, however when I was playing I realized it looked better just automaticaly opening up in the current window, within a timeline in dreamweaver.
Thanks for your comments it made me re-think what I had planned.
A site that use this pop up window flash thing well is click here

Thanks again for your help

Rik

Icemanrik 10:02 28 Jul 04

The pop up was going to be a flash page, where you can browse through a selection of interactive content, however when I was playing I realized it looked better just automaticaly opening up in the current window, within a timeline in dreamweaver.
Thanks for your comments it made me re-think what I had planned.
A site that use this pop up window flash thing well is click here

Thanks again for your help

Rik

Taran 11:12 28 Jul 04

Aside from what SP2 will do to your site where the vast majority of visitors will be using Internet Explorer, users of browsers like Mozilla, Firefox and Opera won't get to see the pop-up at all from the outset since pop-ups are stopped by default. I checked out the site link you offered from Firefox (I'm using it now) and all I got was one line of text on the home page saying "CLICK HERE IF THE SHOP DOESN'T POP UP". Needless to say, I didn't.

Your home page is your window to the world. It should describe you and/or your business/services and so on. You should use it to tempt people to delve further into the site, not to tell them that if the site isn't working properly in their browser would they please be so kind as to kick start things manually by clicking a plain vanilla text hyperlink.

The Stüssy Store site is a good example of how not to set up a home page, especially one which you intend to make money from. Online shopping can get tricky enough without having the site fail to load properly due to poor coding or not taking browser interaction into account. How many visitors will think seriously of parting with their cash if the site misbehaves for them ?

Icemanrik 23:07 28 Jul 04

Well what can I say, Thanks for your advise people! I wont be having a pop up window!!

You people are great!

Rik

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…