Positioning Flash file using CSS?

rolmes 16:40 16 Oct 06

I have successfully imported the Flash code into my web page and the animation works fine. However, I am only able to position the animation using the div tag, and not by using CSS (which I want to do). I have tried using the class attribute in the object tag containing the Flash code, and then stipulating the attributes details such as border etc in the separate CSS file, but this does not work. I am using the same syntax that I have used for many other elements and attributes in this site, but for some reason I can't get this to work. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

harristweed 09:07 17 Oct 06

Don't really understand the problem. You say Flash is in a div, then use CSS to position the div!

I've done it on this site:
click here

code:<div id="flash">
<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="click here" width="400" height="200" title="Flash Movie of properties">
<param name="movie" value="premier.swf">
<param name="quality" value="high">
<embed src="premier.swf" quality="high" pluginspage="click here" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="400" height="200"></embed>
</object>
</div>

CSS:
#flash
{
margin: 0px 5px 0 0;
float: right;
}

rolmes 09:38 17 Oct 06

The problem is that although I can position the element in the way that you state, I do not want to because the div tag, although it works fine in browsers now, is in fact deprecated and will therefore not be fine in the future. So to clarify, I can use the div tag/css to position the element, but I want to use a non-deprecated tag in place of the div tag.
THanks in advance.

PurplePenny 22:45 17 Oct 06

Div isn't deprecated.

rolmes 09:33 18 Oct 06

Sorry, just checked w3c site and your right!
Was using a book for reference which said div was deprecated! Seem to be finding quite a few errors in print.

mister66 20:09 14 Oct 07

I'm having a problem trying to position a flash file in a div BENEATH another div using the z-index property.

The flash div always comes out sitting at the top of the stack irrespective of its z-index.

Any ways around this?

rolmes 10:35 15 Oct 07

sorry, i don't have any ideas on this. oh, wait, what about using CSS in order to hide the flash div from view. Try using the clip property and set the value to 0 (clip: rect 0px 0px 0px 0px) or, use the visibility property (visibility: hidden). I haven't tried either but from a good source book so worth a try.

mister66 22:46 15 Oct 07

Thanks for that but I'm not trying to hide the flash file. I want it to appear beneath another div that has a transparent background but that contains stuff that needs to be on top and clickable.

rolmes 08:40 16 Oct 07

oh, i see. as far as i know this is not possible, because even if the top div has a transparent background, it is still exists and so 'blocks' the interaction with the div below. as i said though, it might be possible, but i have not seen this. good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…