HXP 23:38 22 Nov 05

Hi all,

I am hoping someone can give me a relatively simple explanation of what ports on the PC are ( such as port 8080) in relation to broadband & the internet.

I ran a security check on my PC using click here
ahich cam back saying it did not find any open ports. I have a Belkin router with a firewall & Norton Internet Security suite so I guess that's enough but I would like to understand what I am blocking.

One last thing I have a small network and my sons PC is 192.168.x.x by allowing this as a trusted ip have I reduced my security or am i getting a few things confused ?

Devil Fish 05:39 23 Nov 05

By allowing your sons machine in as a trusted ip it will allow that ip adress to connect while still blocking unwanted traffic i would assume you have done this on norton

you are also sitting behind a hardware fire wall if activated which is protecting the whole network so security risk is minimal

Ports are openings for one pc to connect to one and other for various tasks

example of common ports used

port 80 ( http)(internet communication )

port 21 is used for ( ftp)

110 pop 3 (email)

HXP 23:28 23 Nov 05

Appreciate your reply Devil Fish - I am still asking the question what a port actually is - is it a set of addresses in windows that Int Explorer knows to look for? Perhaps I am asking an impossible question ?Are these ports like ip addresses ?

Could I type the ip of my PC followed by /8080 and get a reponse or I am I so far off the beam that there is no hope of explaining it.

Skyver 00:20 24 Nov 05

Think of a PC as an office block with 65535 individual numbered offices - each port relates to a single office, which only responds to certain information - some of the offices deal with incoming communication and others deal with outgoing, not all of them are used. Your IP address is like the street address of the office block, and the port is the `internal address` so all traffic is directed to the right place. Any information leaving the block is also `stamped` with the office number it was issued by, so when it arrives at another office block(computer) it can be directed to the correct office(port) automatically.
I hope that's not patronisingly simplistic, it's the first analogy that stuck in my head when I was learning about such things.

HXP 01:27 24 Nov 05

Good explanation Skyver & no not too simple at all - I do a fair bit with my PC but afraid somethings elude me - thanks for reply apprecaite - I will leave post open for a bit longer just to see if anyone else has anything to add

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…