Portable Laptop with Blu Ray drive

Doddy123 08:54 AM 08 Feb 13

Hi all could you please help. We are looking for a max 14" laptop to take away which will act as a blu ray player, good internet access speed. Not had to buy a laptop for 7 years and its all so techy !!. As soon as we put in a blu ray player its seems to really narrow/ make it very expensive. The idea is not to buy a tablet but a small laptop which can do take away and home tasks. Many thanks for your help.

Ian in Northampton 09:15 AM 08 Feb 13

Your situation isn't helped by the fact that Blu-Ray is considered something of a high end option - which means it usually only comes with top of the range laptops - and top of the range generally means a somewhat larger screen size then 13". If you were prepared to go up to, say, 15.6", I think you'd have a lot more choice.

chub_tor 09:46 AM 08 Feb 13

Have you considered a small laptop with an external BluRay drive such as this

Doddy123 09:46 AM 08 Feb 13

Thanks for quick reply, have noticed that while doing research, but its the portability we want. Due to not doubling up by not getting a tablet can increase budget to about 1k. Suppose could get a portable blu ray player & small laptop but back to taking 2 items away !!. Have also been reading that companies starting to take optical drives out & that the new windows does not play dvd any way, its a changing world !!.

Doddy123 09:49 AM 08 Feb 13

Hi chub_tor thanks for that, yes that was another idea, what should i look for in compatibility with an external ?.

chub_tor 10:08 AM 08 Feb 13

They all plug into USB ports so personally if I was looking for one I would go along to Amazon, see their range, read the reviews and plump for the one that reviewers say is the most reliable and then see if I could get the model for the lowest price.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 review: Hands-on with the new generation of Surface

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Crowdfunding for world’s first 3D camera-computer found in 30 hours

2015 iMac release date rumours, specs, price & features: new 21in 4K Retina iMacs coming next week