Portable Harddrive Trouble

ste1403 19:35 PM 13 Sep 11

Hi, i have buffalo 250gb hd ministation thats suddenly stopped being recognised by my xbox360 and laptop. When the ministation is connected to laptop it isnt allocated a letter in my computer and doesnt appear there at all, i know the laptop knows its connected though because the remove hardware safely icon appears on the system tray and i can also see it under disk drives in device management. Im stumpped as to how i get it to work.

johndrew 14:11 PM 14 Sep 11

What is your OS?

The best place to start to diagnose and fix this is using your laptop. Look at the Windows won't recognize USB hard drive guide and see if this resolves that part of the problem. I have a feeling the file system on the external drive is corrupt and as a result cannot be recognised/allocated a letter.

ste1403 19:14 PM 14 Sep 11

Windows 7, Is there anyway to recover data on the hd if it is corrupt??

ste1403 19:50 PM 14 Sep 11

ok ive gone through the guide and it is corrupt and i am currently trying data recovery bu im getting an error message

error no.1117 drv:130 LBA:0 Blocks:1

Terry Brown 20:33 PM 14 Sep 11

What data recovery program are you using, my preferred choice is RECUVER

http://www.piriform.com/recuva, to get the best results recover the disk to another disk (or partition) otherwise you will overwrite the files you are trying to recover.

ste1403 20:45 PM 14 Sep 11

Can I recover them to my laptop harddrive with that??

ste1403 20:46 PM 14 Sep 11

Can't remember what it's called it's the one they recommend o. The troubleshoot page

ste1403 22:24 PM 14 Sep 11

oh and its also saying that it has over 2000gb of storage! its only a 250gb lol. that recuver software doesnt even find the drive so trying another one

johndrew 14:19 PM 16 Sep 11

If the data is recoverable, then the suggestion made by Terry Brown, above, will allow you to put it to your laptop HDD. Be aware it may be corrupt and at best may only be recoverable in part.

Please provide a link for "The troubleshoot page" as I'm not sure where you mean.

The reason for the corrupt storage figure is directly linked to the fact the data for the drive is corrupt.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know