Portable Hard Drives

amyjen7 19:09 19 Jan 09

Hi my son & I live next door to each other and yes we get on very well. He as asked me to come up with a suitable Portable Hard Drive we can share, to cut the costs in these very difficult times. We would like it to have both USB & Firewire connection & storage of at least 250g. There are numerous ones out there. Can you please help & suggest 1 or 2 which might suite us. We both have Vista Home Premium Thank you very much

Kind regards

The Kestrel 21:01 19 Jan 09

I have had a Freecom portable hard drive for a couple of years now and have been very pleased with it. It is used regularly to back-up files and to store photographs. I have never had any problems over that period of time.

I don't know whether Freecom or any other portable Hard drives come with Firewire connection click here to view the Freecom range.

The Kestrel 21:04 19 Jan 09

Sorry sent the wrong link click here . I should also have added that my PC also has Vista Home Premium as the OS.

woodchip 21:12 19 Jan 09

One on offer at Aldi click here

Thursday next

Al94 21:42 19 Jan 09

Highly recommend the Seagate Freeagent Go 320gb click here very small form factor, powered from USB port and comes with own backup software and encryption.

barryoneoff.co.uk 23:17 19 Jan 09

I've been using a WD Elements for a while for backing up pictures. No complaints and fairly cheap.

Inside Edge 12:02 20 Jan 09

if you're looking to get best value then I'd suggest getting a USB only drive unless one of you really needs the slightly faster Firewire data transfer speed. Fire wire and dual interface are noticably more expensive. If you're doing mainly regular back-ups in the background then the few minutes saved may not be of much benefit. Also, the dinky compact external drives are aimed at those who will move them around in laptop bags and again cost significantly more for a given capacity. I bought a Seagate WD500 and it's been fine - it's a bit bulky but sits neatly on its end on the desk. ....in fact, many more portable ones are designed to lie flat on the desk, taking up more space.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009