Portable flash drive players

octal 06:41 08 Sep 05

I'm not sure if this should have gone in Consumerwatch forum or here, seeing as it's a sorta general enquiry I'll try here.

I'm looking to purchase a 1GB flash drive player, either Iriver or a Samsung, both with handle OGG files.

Do you have to use their software, or can you treat them like a normal drive and just drag and drop the files into them?

The reason I can't use the supplied software as I want to use it on my Linux machine, I led to believe the Samsung might be able to do that, so can anyone confirm please?

recap 11:32 08 Sep 05

I would think that as long as there are the tools to run ogg files on your Linux machine, (e.g libvorbis, libvorbis-devel, lorbis-tools etc)it would work. Redhat/Fedora are supplied with these tools as standard now.

I'm not up on Linux that much so this may not be correct, hopefully somebody can either confirm this or not for you.

octal 12:01 08 Sep 05

Thanks for that, yes I've got plenty of tools to rip to OGG files, that's not the problem, its just the player end. I should think its just like a normal flash drive, but if someone can confirm, I'm sure my misses will be most grateful as its for her.

interzone55 13:32 08 Sep 05

From reading around, players that support Ogg Vorbis tend to allow drag & drop file handling. I know iRiver devices I've seen allowed it as well.

octal 16:12 08 Sep 05

I'm inlined to agree with you, from what I've read as well. I'll just leave the thread open a little longer in case anyone else has actually tried it.

I might even give one of the Linux forums a try, I must admit although the help is good, they are not as user friendly as this forum.

octal 19:56 08 Sep 05

Found what I needed.

Thanks all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…