Portable Drive Query

ventanas 10:51 28 May 08

I've just bought one of these click here
As well as the usual USB connector there ia another, small round socket labelled DC-In and the unit also comes with a suitable cable to fit this socket, with a USB connector at the other end.
I can't see a purpose for this as the unit is powered by the normal USB cable.
And there is no info on the web site.

Grateful for any ideas.

Taff™ 11:26 28 May 08

The additional cable is another USB power supply. Whilst these drives will work on just the one USB cable drawing 2.5v the additional one also draws 2.5v. I don`t know if this makes it any better in operation but I always use it so that I`m perhaps less likely to suffer from the unit not having enough juice to complete an operation.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:29 28 May 08

click here

quick setup guide

At a guess allows you to spread the power between two different USB ports, remember you only have 500mA per set of ports.

2.5W at 5V puts it at the max limit for the port if you have anything else running from same port I.e. through a no powered hub there is a danger of blowing the no replaceable fuse on the motherboard.

ventanas 11:31 28 May 08

Thanks Taff™ I see it now. It has to be this type of conenction to avoid the drive being seen twice. It does seem ok with just the standard cable, but now I know what to do if it lags a bit.

I've just put 43Gb on it in as many minutes. That will do for me.

Thanks again.

ventanas 11:32 28 May 08

And thank you Fruit Bat /\0/\ I will take care not to overload.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…