Port scans

jaydoubleyou 15:00 04 Apr 04

I am running Sygate firewall and occasionally notice the system tray icon flashing red, which turns out to be port scans, usually in 2s or 3s. I have reported some of these to the ISPs concerned (one of which was my own), but have never had a response, so is it worth reporting them?
Also, I have noticed that although the scans seem to come from different ISPs (including from the UK, US, Italy and Poland), the remote MAC address is always the same. Is it because I am being targeted by the same machine every time, or is it something more innocent being thrown up by Sygate as a port scan?

Graham ® 15:19 04 Apr 04

I have asked about this before, the consensus of opinion is it is normal traffic activity. The firewall is doing its job and keeping them out. If you right click on the icon, you can hide the icon so it doesn't bother you.

To access Sygate to restore it, you'll find it in Programs.

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:53 04 Apr 04

Your ports are being scanned all the time. This is referred to as 'handshaking'. The ISPs and servers check to see if you are still there. Turn off the alerts as you have no chance of being hacked on a home computer. The firewall is not 'keeping them out' as they have no intention of getting in...just being friendly.

G

jaydoubleyou 19:37 04 Apr 04

Phew! Thanks for putting my mind at ease!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…