Port 21 seems to have disappeared

pyrocrafter 09:26 07 Nov 07

Hi, I update my websites regularly but all of a sudden, yesterday, when I tried to upload an update I got the message Port 21 couldn't be found. Does anyone know how I can rectify this? I tried an online scanner and it told me it couldn't find Port 21 to scan. HUH?

pyrocrafter 19:01 07 Nov 07

You've probably hit the nail on the head... Where do I start. I updated to SP2 a few weeks ago which crashed my PC. Had it repaired and SP2 is still on it. I don't think I've uploaded my website since then, so you've probably hit the nail on the head. The firewall is disabled on the FTP program, so the question is, where do I go from here? I used another FTP program on one of my other sites earlier and that worked OK. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing the dodgy program but that didn't work. Oh Well - I'll just have to keep trying.

pyrocrafter 08:56 08 Nov 07

I've already done that thanks. But no joy. I went into the XP Firewall settings yesterday evening and tried adding Port 21 in the Advanced settings. I also added my FTP prog to the list of programs allowed to use open ports and thought 'that'll be it' but 'No' Still it won't work. I think something's been corrupted. Something else I did this week was try to add some extra RAM. That made the PC die until I took it out again. I wondering if that's messed it up.
Thanks once again for the helpful suggestions

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant