Port 21 open

Tazfan 14:53 26 Jan 03

I have just run the Shields Up test, and below are the results. The first result shows that port 21 on my computer is open. What does this mean? Is it something I should be worried about?

FTP
OPEN! FTP servers have many known security vulnerabilities and the payoff from exploiting an insecure FTP server can be significant. This system's open FTP port is inviting intruders to examine your system more closely.

Telnet
Closed Your computer has responded that this port exists but is currently closed to connections.

SMTP
Closed Your computer has responded that this port exists but is currently closed to connections.

Finger

HTTP

POP3

IDENT

RPC
Stealth! There is NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that a port (or even any computer) exists at this IP address!

Net
BIOS
Stealth! There is NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that a port (or even any computer) exists at this IP address!

IMAP

HTTPS

MSFT
DS

UPnP

As always, thank you for your time. T:-)

VoG™ 14:58 26 Jan 03

click here

As is often said the chances of being hacked are remote for home users.

What Firewall do you have? Mine (McAfee) "stealths" every port in the Shields Up! test.

Tazfan 17:26 26 Jan 03

Zone Alarm Pro.

Will it have anything to do withmy network do you think? I run another computer linked to this one via nic and cable.

VoG™ 18:28 26 Jan 03

Sorry Tazfan, I know next to nothing about networks.

This will bump you back to the top.

flecc 18:37 26 Jan 03

The UPnP is disabled so that's why port 5000 is doing nothing. This is your system's port for accessing "smart" appliances, fridges that stock themselves etc, once someone invents one.

25 and 110 are your mail ports of course, the rest I shouldn't worry about since they're being protected by your firewall which I could tell is Zone Alarm by those stealth returns.

flecc 18:40 26 Jan 03

I missed that port 21, I think GRC have a fix for that on site, it's a common state of affairs for Windows networking, but you could lose your network if you try too hard to shut that down.

As you'll see inZoneAlarms security tab, it's either a case of defences down or no network access. I run with mine wide open and don't worry!

Tazfan 21:19 26 Jan 03

I immediately bagan thinking trojan and what not. Ie run The Cleaner, and it didnt find anything, likewise NAV.

This is the first time I have seen this port 21 being open. I last ran the test about a month ago and all were either closed or in stealth.

Strange. So there is nothing to worry about?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5