Port 135-why is it still open?

dagwoood 22:32 05 Oct 04

I've performed a port scan(with my firewall off)and port 135 is showing as open.

What's confusing me is that as I'm running on xp sp2, I thought this port should be closed.

It's not a problem as I'm running behind a firewall(Zonealarm)but wandered if anyone had noticed this on their sp2 systems.

Cheers, dagwoood.

Eargasm 22:52 05 Oct 04

Have a look at click here it mibht help

dagwoood 03:45 06 Oct 04

Eargasm, thanks for the link.

I had already visited that site and downloaded the Dcombobulator but only read that as I was running sp2 I already would be patched. I didn't carry on reading the rest of the info(spot the idiot).

You may be patched, but port 135 can still be left open(go figure). I disabled Dcom with the Dcombobulator and disabled the task scheduler and the distribution transaction co-ordinator, ran the port scan again, and it's now closed.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, dagwoood.

Eargasm 22:51 06 Oct 04

Glad you are sorted.

dagwoood 01:05 07 Oct 04

Eargasm, that problem was sorted but it created another one!

I wanted to uninstall my graphics control panel so as I could download/install some different graphics drivers. The problem was when I went into add/remove programs, it wouldn't let me uninstall this item as I kept getting an error message "RPC server not responding".

To cut a long story short, I've had to do a restore to cure this problem. The only thing that'd changed with regards to my system was running Dcombobulator and killing some services. I'd obviouly disabled DCOM server in services, but as per click here you need to have it running if you've installed sp2. RPC(remote procedure call)must be dependant on having DCOM running, which I didn't realise.

Sorry for the "War and Peace" posting, but if someone else does a search on here, they may find this info helpful.

Thank you for your continued interest, dagwoood.

Eargasm 00:13 08 Oct 04

Thanks for the info,i'm hanging fire with sp2 for the moment,but when i finally install it i will enable dcom.

Thanks again for posting your solution.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…