Popping Sounds from music!!!!

YinHoNg 12:08 29 Sep 04

I get 'popping' sounds when i play music. Anyone know how to fix this?

I thought it was my speakers at first but i used my headset too and its the same- there are still those popping sounds!
This has made me think perhaps it isnt a hardware fault.

I dont think i get popping sounds when i play movies; dvds.

I play my music in winamp but have also tried it in windows media player and its exactly the same.

This is getting really annoying now cos i've got loads of albums i wanna listen to!!

Anyone experienced this before or know how to solve it?

gillersuk 12:17 29 Sep 04

Have you ripped the music from your own CDs or have you got them from the internet or other people? If the former then your sound-card driver is probably at fault (even though it plays your DVDs fine it can still be a problem with that as music tracks are in a different format to DVD sound). If the latter, then the popping sound is probably the copyright protection that stops the misc from being played. Usually it will play the first twenty seconds and then the popping noise will start.

gillersuk 12:21 29 Sep 04

sorry, should have said if its your sound card driver at fault, then download the latest driver from the manufacturers web site and follow the installation instructions, which may require taht you completely uninstall the existing driver software.

YinHoNg 12:23 29 Sep 04

Both. The popping noises are faint but definitely 'experienced'.

The popping sounds come right at the beginning and its throughout the song. Its like a crackling sound.

i'll try update my sound card driver.

Any other ideas tho?

YinHoNg 12:27 29 Sep 04

How do i determine what sound card i have?

Noelg23 12:28 29 Sep 04

check the speaker settings in your sound card and also in WinAmp and Win Media Player...maybe its been changed and you may not realise this...I would just check everything..

gillersuk 12:31 29 Sep 04

go to control panel, system, hardware tab and then device manager. Then look through that to find your soundcard, i think its in sound,video and game controllers. Then search the net for the manufacturers sit and it should have a download section. If its happening to all your music then it probably is a driver issue.

Stuartli 12:37 29 Sep 04

It's because you are listening to some of the King Singers' early recordings....:-)

Go to My Computer>Properties>Hardware tab and Device Manager (as gillersuk states, but slightly different route); highlight your sound card and then select Properties. Check that the driver is working OK or, alternatively, download the latest driver and install it.

Also check in Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices that the configuration for your speakers, devices etc is in order.

Timmy!! 12:38 29 Sep 04

Right click on the speaker icon by the clock and go to the 'advanced' volume controls. Mute everything except for the master volume and wave output. Usually a dodgy microphone socket/mic or line in can cause this problem.

YinHoNg 14:56 29 Sep 04

I Updated my sound card driver and all is ok so far. I did however notice something:

When i go to start - All programs - e.g. Skype
the shortcut is now gone.

How do i get it back on there?

gillersuk 15:02 29 Sep 04

im glad everything is ok now. to replace your shortcut just search for the program in windows (probably in program files) and then if using XP right click on the program icon and 'pin to start menu'. from there you can drag and drop it to where you want it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 Plus review: better cameras and waterproofing make this the best iPhone yet

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

iPhone vs Android | iOS vs Android: 5 reasons why Apple's iPhones beat Google Android smartphones ()…