pop-ups causing fatal errors

P-300 23:52 22 Jun 04

Help!! I am having trouble when connected to the net such that every time a pop-up appears and I try to close it the system immediately disconnects saying that 'IE caused a fatal error and will be shut down - contact the program vendor if this problem persists'.

I have tried downloading a pop-up stopper but it never seems to finish, or at least tell me that it has, and even then nothing seems to change anyway. However, trying to stop pop-ups is not the point. Why is this causing the problem at all??

When this happens the only thing I can do is CTRL/ALT/DEL twice to restart the computer. The 'start' button at the bottom of the page becomes inoperative.

I am running 98SE with IE6. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks...

curlylad 00:23 23 Jun 04

Do you have anti virus ? If not then I suggest getting some and running it first click here follow the link on the left hand side of the screen after clicking on the link to where it says free edition.

Also Ad-Aware click here and Spybot click here will get rid of other intruders.

Download these free programs , click on the update buttons on each program , run them and see if this solves your problem , if not post back .

curlylad 00:26 23 Jun 04

Sorry , for the Spybot link I gave , when you click it scroll down the page to where it says spybot search & destroy 1.3 and click the download button to the right of this.

P-300 19:36 24 Jun 04

Thanks Curlylad, but I already have AVG and Spybot and have run them both. A Trojan Horse virus was found and it took a second run in safe mode to get it removed. This virus may have caused the problem I have now but I don't know how to fix it.

Any suggestions...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:19 24 Jun 04

click here for how to repair IE

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…