Pop-ups on boot up

Buchan 35 19:07 09 Nov 04

Every time I boot up I get a pop-up generated by
windows security telling me that my PC is vulnerable to attack if I don`t have an AV programme. Also when I get ny ISP front page I get another one telling me I`ve got onto the `net. Question is, how do I get rid of them?

Buchan 35 19:12 09 Nov 04

forgot, my os is xp pro, sp2

VoG II 19:20 09 Nov 04

Do you have an anti-virus program. If you have Norton there is a fix for this problem on the Symantec site.

Buchan 35 19:35 09 Nov 04

I`ve got Avast

VoG II 19:39 09 Nov 04

If you are not using the Windows Firewall you could turn the Security Center off. To do this, Start, Run, type in

and click OK.

Scroll down to Security Center and double click it. Click the Stop button and change the Startup setting to Disabled.

Buchan 35 19:41 09 Nov 04

Ta VoG, i`ll try that

Buchan 35 20:49 09 Nov 04

I1m terribly sorry to have been away for about an hour, it`s not bad manners, my neighbour had a kitchen fire (whole ovens gone) and I was helping to put things right. Difficult task with new neighbours but everything is OK now. Apart from the oven. I`ll try your method now

Buchan 35 20:58 09 Nov 04

Sorry VoG got a reply saying we don`t recognise "services"

VoG II 21:09 09 Nov 04

Sorry, I don't know why that won't work.

Buchan 35 21:45 09 Nov 04

Never mind mate, somebody might come up with an answer, thanks anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…