Pop up message in IE8 Win 7

sjbell 18:03 05 Apr 10

I've just set up my new Windows 7 laptop today. I'm using IE8 as my web browser. After installing Adobe Shockwave, I wanted to check it worked on the Adobe site. When I accessed the web page, I received a pop up message. Unfortunately, I didn’t make a note of the exact wording. It was something along the lines that Shockwave wanted to access a particular website and I had to either allow or disallow. As I trusted the website I clicked “allow” and ticked the check box so I’m not prompted again. Similarly, a message popped up when I tried to listen to an online radio station (Windows Media Logagent this time). Just wondering if this was the right thing to do? If I change my mind is there a setting somewhere I can change so that I go back to being prompted? As I'm new to this machine I'm not sure if the pop up was from IE, Windows OS or the firewall (Windows built in one). Grateful if anyone can put my mind at rest that I haven't done anything stupid!

sjbell 20:23 05 Apr 10

Bump

northumbria61 23:33 05 Apr 10

The pop up message would have been your Firewall - you installed a new program and then you went to check it on the Internet. It would have to have your permission - ie: "allow" or "dis-allow" to enable it to continue.

sjbell 06:25 06 Apr 10

This wasn't the firewall. Luckily a friend was able to answer my question. I will post their answer here for future reference and mark as resolved.

"This is normal behaviour – and it’s part of IE. Previous versions of IE could do the same, however Microsoft have erred on the side of caution, and the default option is to now prompt for any ActiveX Control or add in in the first time you run it.

These settings are governed form Tools ? Internet Options ? Security
Internet is set at Medium High, I recommend you leave it at this setting.

If you go the Programs tab in Internet Options, and click on Manage Add-ons you can see what you have accepted previously, and disable anything you don’t want."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…