Pop-up Dial Up Connection Windows

k_j_love 20:59 04 Oct 03

Recently my Dial-up connection window has been popping up every 5 minutes or so. I have uninstalled nearly all of my programs to clean up my hard drive. I am running windows 98 with Internet Explorer And Outlook express version 5. I dont know what is causing the windows to pop-up every 5 minutes but it is extrememly annoying, any ideas?

Kris

woodchip 21:45 04 Oct 03

In IE go to Tools/Options/Connection click the box only dial default connection

woodchip 21:53 04 Oct 03

you can also do this, remove the telephone plug from the computer so it cannot connect to IE then start IE when the connection dialogue pops up it will not be able to dial, remove the tick from ?automatic dial? box. You can then put the plug back into the computer and connect normally

musicman19 08:08 05 Oct 03

In Internet Explorer click Tools\Internet Options\Connections and select Never Dial A Connetion.

seedie 10:10 05 Oct 03

You could do what musicman19 advises and then put a short cut to your dial-up icon on the desktop. If you give it a hotkey assignment then you can initiate a connection by doing CTRL-ALT your key then press RETURN.

CD

k_j_love 15:27 05 Oct 03

tried all those but it still pop-ups up, it will pop-up for about 12 seconds then it will hide again but leaving a plain gray box on the toolbar. It doesnt automatically dial just brings up the window all the time and its very annoying. tried the internet as well for answeres but no luck, even comes up when internet explorer is unintalled.

woodchip 21:08 05 Oct 03

Have a look in msconfig for what is trying to dial. Type msconfig in the run box/setup tab and see what is ticked

johnem 23:04 05 Oct 03

Do you have Norton Antivirus installed, as by default the Net checked is set to try and check for a network connection or internet connection every 10 minutes. If you look in "schedule" icon, it could be indicated. Not sure if other antivirus sytems do the same. You could always disable or alter the timing to see if that cures the auto dial-up request.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…