POP 3 password changed without authorisation

Geord 21:33 01 Apr 07

Wonder if anyone can shed any light on this.

ISP - Tiscali Broadband
OS - Windows XP, Outlook 2003

I've always used the same password for receiving emails (remember password box is checked), but this morning started to get an error message to say that POP 3 username and password were invalid.
This evening I established from the Helpdesk that the password was incorrect - indeed the 1st and last letters he gave me bore no relation to my own password which I know was correct. As I was recieving emails fine this morning up to about 11am the password must have changed at this point. However the operator told me that the password he had recorded had been there since 7th Feb.

Whilst all is sorted now my obvious concern is that it could happen again. The following may or may not be related:

1. New Zone Alarm (free firewall version 7.0.337.000)downloaded on Thursday. This appears to have various email programmes linked into Outlook - could this have changed my settings, and if so how do I stop it doing it again?! I have now turned the basic mailsafe facility off as I have Mailwasher.

2. I received notification from ebay that my ebay account had been hacked on friday, by some delightful person wanting goods to be sent to West Africa.

3. AVG reveals the following change: ntoskrnl.exe - only a change, not a threat but could it be related?

Sorry this is such a long post, but if anyone can shed any light on how the POP Server settings could have been changed without my knowledge, and how to prevent it in the future (whilst they were very helpful, 20 mins on the phone to Tiscali proves very expensive!!) it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…