Poorly PC - is it terminal?

MartynHoll 15:31 30 Dec 06

I started with having problems using Ulead Movie Factory which would 'freeze' the PC when trying to access the DVD writer. I attempted to uninstall MF and that also 'froze' the PC as the uninstall started. I then attempetd to 'repair' MF and that again 'froze' the PC. I then tried to get into 'safe' mode and the PC decided to 'freeze' at different stages of going into Bios set-up. I tried to re-install Windows XP and that also 'froze' the PC at different stages over many attempts. I then decided to unplug the c drive and try installing Windows Xp onto my d drive and again had many attempts with the install stopping at different stages. I then un-plugged all hardware from the motherboard just leaving the video card in and then again tried to install Windows onto the d drive, again with the install 'freezing' part way through. There is also now a burning smell - I am suspecting that the processor is playing up - any ideas?

The Brigadier 15:37 30 Dec 06

How old is the PC?
What make & model is it?

MartynHoll 15:42 30 Dec 06

It is around 3-4 years old. It is one that I had built at a local place (Novatech).

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:17 30 Dec 06

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

Check the motherboard for signs of overheating if none found and fans are working OK then replace PSU.

MartynHoll 16:28 30 Dec 06

I have left the PC off for around an hour and now Windows is installing onto the D drive - we will see how far it gets - perhaps there is an overheating problem!

MartynHoll 17:46 30 Dec 06

I have now installed Windows XP onto my D drive (seperate hard drive) successfully and now made it the master and PC booted and has started OK. I have now run a 'scan disk' on the old C drive and there are loads of errors (inserting an index entry with ID...up to 5468 and counting into index $SII of file 9). I will format the old c drive and then try loading Windows onto thay drive and we will see what happens!

Diemmess 17:59 30 Dec 06

Your suggestion seems a logical way to go, but why not try a period of doing nothing for a day or two just to see if the 'new' HD starts to suffer the same woes!

The result should be definitive either way, i.e.
No bother: then old HD becomes a prime suspect.

Fresh trouble: then the answer lies with overheating, PSU or RAM or Mobo.

Unlikely but still possible, something nasty picked up along the way?

MartynHoll 10:47 04 Jan 07

I found that it was the graphics card that was faulty!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…