Poor wi-fi connectivity

ngauge 15:14 21 Sep 10

Can anyone suggest the answer? I try and get on-line with talktalk via a USB Adapter on my notebook with a router(Huawe HG520b) upstairs. But I am constantly having problems with low reception. I/we have changed the channel 3 times but no improvement. It seems like someone else is using the same channel as it is running strongly - then suddenly cuts down to low or even off completely. But for three channels?
Norming

cocteau48 15:29 21 Sep 10

You could download and run inSSIDer:click here

it will pick up and display all networks adjacent to you and display,amongst other things,the channel which they are using.

Strawballs 15:32 21 Sep 10

Make sure you are using encryption and not unsecured.

Woolwell 16:10 21 Sep 10

It may be down to your house construction. Therefore you may need a range extender or booster or use homeplugs which use your electric power circuits.

woodchip 17:07 21 Sep 10

If you look at your Router Log it should tell you if someone else is connecting to your router. PS Router Log is in the Setup Page of the Router, not on the PC

Ashrich 18:56 21 Sep 10

Make sure that power saving for the USB port isn't kicking in , also for the adapter . You don't say which OS you are using , but in any of them look in device manager , scroll down to USB , expand it and for all ports unless you know which one is being used , go to power management and un-tick the box that says " Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power " OK your way back to device manager and do the same for the adapter under the networking tab .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac