Poor A-V Synchronisation during Analogue Capture

DocLee 10:38 13 Jun 09

This topic was broached by Humbug 57 in January. I have been using a Pinnacle Dazzle external capture device for digitising my analogue video tapes. It encodes into MPEG. There is a persistent problem with loss of audio-visual synchronisation, small but enough to be noticeable and not acceptable. (The image is also slightly spoiled with vertical straight edges appearing saw-toothed.)
I understand that audio-visual asynchrony is inherent or very common in capture devices encoding into MPEG formats, but not with those encoding into avi. Is this correct?
If correct, can anyone recommend a suitable capture device which encodes into avi. I run WindowsXP and have the necessary software to convert between formats.
I believe that encoding into avi will also help with editing. Currently, I edit with Adobe Premiere Pro and with MPEG formats there is complete loss of audio-visual synchronisation with up to 15 seconds gap developing. Am I correct in understanding that Premiere Pro "loses" the timing markers (or whatever the technical name is) so that there is massive loss of synchronisation and that this should not occur with .avi?
Advice would be greatly appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5