poor signal strength with Belkin | High-speed Mode

mark7 07:51 04 Jan 06

please could someone please help this novice.
my operating system is windows xp i have a bt voyeger wireless router downstairs and a Belkin | High-speed Mode Wireless G USB network adapter upstairs connected to my computer. the signal strength fluctuates between low to very low with the occasional good sometimes i am getting no connection at all. i am stuggling not much hair left to tear out

dms05 12:17 04 Jan 06

You may have a problem with compatibility between the BT kit and the Belkin. I have had problems with a Safecom mini-pci WiFi card connecting to a Toshiba Access Point whilst a Broadcom mini-pci WiFi card worked perfectly.

Or you may need to reposition the WiFi antennas to improve matters. Try moving the Belkin about as far as you can.

I have also downgraded my 802.11g 54Mbps to 802.11b 11Mbps to improve reception and it's certainly better. After all 11Mbps is plenty fast enough for a standard ADSL connection. My WiFi and Ethernet connections perform identically when connected to the Internet (BT Broadband).

LAP 16:00 04 Jan 06

Likewise BT2100 Voyager with Philips USB adpators. Hopeless, replaced with BT1050 USB adaptors. Worked perfectly

Biotech 17:01 04 Jan 06

Don't you just love wireless. I have a voyager 2100 and it works really well but there are certain spots where there is little or no signal.
You may need to track down where the signal is, have you tried rotating the router antenna a bit.
In the end I got a little Kensington "HOT SPOT" indicator and walked round the house looking for a signal. You can guess where there was no signal, right where my PC is. Solved it with a BT 1040 and a D-Link DWL-M60AT panel antenna on an extension lead. Getting 54Mbps with "excellent" signal strength. Was getting 1Mbps with V.poor signal strength using BT 1040 withregulation antenna. A Bt 1050 USB adapter kept freezing my computer randomly. 2 other PCs upstairs getting ecellent signal, but then the router is upstairs too .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy Book review: Hands-on with Samsung’s high-end hybrid

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is probably one of the best bank ads we’ve seen

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple