poor connection speed

farnz 20:33 15 Mar 04

My sisters connection speed is only 38.6 Kbps.
We have spoken to BT & had the gain on the line upped to 3 (max) & I have fitted a new V92 56K modem, but it still is slow. Modem properities are set at 115,200.
It does have a long extension cable to the wall outlet (about 20 feet).
OP system is Win 2K & we have the latest drivers as well.
Any ideas anyone?

Gaz 25 20:36 15 Mar 04

Wondering if this is any help to you: click here

May I point out that an extenstion that long will slow connection speeds. And also any interferance to the cabe.

David-235429 21:09 15 Mar 04

I am now on BB but until 4 weeks ago was with AOL in dial up. I have an extension lead of over 60ft and would normally get 49kbps on a V92 modem. The extension is a standard telephone extension kit but hard wired in to the back of the main BT socket (rather then using a splitter on the front of the socket)

johnem 21:13 15 Mar 04

farnz, I had this problem a few weeks ago when my V92 modem connection speed dropped to 33.6 and found that somehow the modem setings via "control Panel" had inadvertently been changed to "USA" for the country. I am running XP pro, I found that there are two sets of settings for the modem. The one described above and the one accessed via Internet Properties. You could try winding up the modem connection speed to the highest available, that might help.
I also connect with a fairly long cable to the phone socket.
I also found that something had altered within the registry, which was corrected by running a registry cleaner. Not recommended for the faint hearted! If you do use a reg. cleaner, be sure to create a restore point beforehand. Hope this is of some help.

johnem 21:18 15 Mar 04

farnz, I had this problem a few weeks ago when my V92 modem connection speed dropped to 33.6 and found that somehow the modem setings via "control Panel" had inadvertently been changed to "USA" for the country. I am running XP pro, I found that there are two sets of settings for the modem. The one described above and the one accessed via Internet Properties. You could try winding up the modem connection speed to the highest available, that might help.
I also connect with a fairly long cable to the phone socket.
I also found that something had altered within the registry, which was corrected by running a registry cleaner. Not recommended for the faint hearted! If you do use a reg. cleaner, be sure to create a restore point beforehand. Hope this is of some help.

keverne 21:49 15 Mar 04

Have you tried unplugging all the other phones in the house?
I once had similar problems and traced it to one of the extensions. Replacing the phone increased my connection speed by a significant amount.

GaT7 21:49 15 Mar 04

I had a similar problem with an extension of 20-30ft. Tried everything - no joy.

Then I tried a suggestion mentioned somewhere - moved my PC close to the wall socket & connected direct with the modem cable only. My dialup speed DOUBLED - no kidding! My PC's permanently close to the wall socket now. It's worth a try even if it's just for t'shooting purposes & to rule this possibility out.

You may also want to try an online modem t'shooter - click here . The site also has other useful modem tips, tricks & info.

woodchip 21:59 15 Mar 04

Well my extension lead is about 80 odd feet long and my connection on a external Dynamode V90 modem is always 48000 correct speed. The main thing is the line quality but the modem can make a difference. What I have seen is that most ISP's do not support V92Dial-Up so it drops the speed, just as it used to when V90 was first brought out it dropped it to ether 33000 0r 56000bps. You may find a V90 gets a better connection speed

woodchip 22:04 15 Mar 04

PS try your modem hear at downloading two files click here the top icon for me gives 5350 cps bottom 5020 cps

woodchip 22:05 15 Mar 04

will mine double

The Spires 22:10 15 Mar 04

Do you have a Sky Box connected at the same time, for reasons not totaly clear to me this can mess up the connection speed of a modem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…