Poor computer Performance

IanR_ 17:13 07 May 04

Hi,
A work mate has a computer that takes ages to do anything,the hard drive seems to be constantly working aswell.Its Win 2000,20G hard drive,1000 meg Pentium III,128MB , all info off Belarc Advisor.When i do a disk clean up,the hard drive just goes crazy & not much happens.
Has anyone got any ideas..??

Cheers

woodchip 17:18 07 May 04

First simple tasks are to go to explorer and delete all Temp files. Go to IE settings do not know where they are stored on 2000 other than tools options and clear all cache files history cookies. then try scandisk and defrag

woodchip 17:19 07 May 04

PS stop all start programs that do not need to run at start I do not no where that is ether. in XP etc its in Start\Run MSCONFIG start tab

VoG II 17:23 07 May 04

MSCONFIG for Windows 2000 click here

matt1234 17:26 07 May 04

check for viruses spyware etc and clear temp files

IanR_ 17:49 07 May 04

Cheers all, i will give it a go & report back.

IanR_ 08:58 08 May 04

right downloaded MSCONFIG, below are whats on startup:
mobsync
wkfud
wksSb
wkdetect
igfxtray
hkcmd
vptray
winampa
microsoft office
microsoft works calender reminder
run VNC server

what do you think?

VoG II 10:20 08 May 04

wkfud wksSb wkdetect are all associated with Microsoft Works. I wonder whether these really need to run at startup.

mobsync is a little odd - do they need this? click here

IanR_ 10:46 08 May 04

i dont think so VoG™,i will disable them,what about the others??
once i have done these is there anything else that can be done to stop the hard drive going mental?

VoG II 10:55 08 May 04

I would leave the others for now. A quick Google will tell you what they are.

You could check if Fast Search is enabled in Works. Exactly how to do this will depend on the version. Start Word, File/Search and in the options look for Fast Search and disable it.

When you do the disk cleanup and the HDD goes mental, what does cleanup say it is doing ("compressing old files" or similar)?

IanR_ 10:58 08 May 04

yes compressing old files

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…